Topic

Silk sleeping bag liner?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Silk sleeping bag liner?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I get stinky…and so do my clothes..so I like using a sleeping bag liner to keep my bag clean.
    But another thread brought up a good point about it being single use.
    I was hoping to make my own and have it be multiple use…but need ideas…mine aren't too good so far

Use as a scarf..
    Use as a towel after bathing in a stream?
    Modify it to fold up into a vest? …not sure that would do much.
    Wrap over head like a sun hoody?
    Modify to fold up into a stuff sack?

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

To keep my bag clean I use windpants and windshirt over trail clothes, just to give another thought on multiuse.

Patrick Canterbury
    BPL Member

@padhraicdrakonchik

Personally I have found that the seams on silk clothing items tend to rip/stretch if subjected to demanding use. This has been true of shirts, underpants, long underwear, etc.

By rip I mean as follows. Put your hands in front of your, facing your palms. Interlace your fingers. Then slowly drag your fingers apart. That's what happens to silk seams when put to hard use, in my experience.

Of course, maybe I've been simply unlucky, maybe all my garments were poorly made, wrong type of seam, etc. Who knows.

So in the case of a sleeping bag liner, I can visualize the seams pulling apart wherever your feet and elbows yank on the lining.

My 2 cents.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> That's what happens to silk seams when put to hard use, in my experience.

It's a very light weave. You need to use something like a felled seam to get the strength. Of course, that costs extra.

Cheers

Chris Hyatt
    BPL Member

@cvhyattgmail-com

i used these folks for their silk liners. Dirt cheap at $5 and they double stitch their seams and gussets. Very high quality product and quick shipment.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=291003077824

Tyler Lego

@horsefarm

Locale: WNC

Dat shipping tho

Tyler Lego

@horsefarm

Chris Hyatt
    BPL Member

@cvhyattgmail-com

Looks like the same one just being sold locally. It's made in Vietnam too.

Rosaleen Sullivan
    Spectator

@mamarosa43

Locale: New England

I passed on my silk sleeping bag liner, mostly because I toss and turn too much when ground sleeping. It just wasn't working for me. To keep my bag clean, I bathe (sponge/bandana bath) before bed, and might wear silks or very light synthetic clothing to bed. Silks are increasingly difficult to find in thrift shops, so I find myself getting away from them. I found the same wear issue with most silk clothing, in that they pull apart at the seams if not simply disintegrate from age. Wearing my silks as travel PJs in a bed with cotton sheets caused faster wear, as the cotton sheets have more drag than my synthetic bag. A friend gave me a length of silk which I have started using as a "top sheet" as well as a sarong/skirt for camp wear. Paired with very light shorts and a silk or silk-weight top, I'm good. You might try a version of this, adding a sheet for your sleeping pad and using your bag as a quilt or converting it to a quilt. If you find this works for you, it is a way you could keep your bag cleaner.

Tyler Lego

@horsefarm

for 10 bucks im gonna try it out. also durability aint a big concern at that price. heck i dont think ill like it but will try it out. i rarely keep my quilt enclosed at night, and dont like the idea of a fully enclosed liner but i really want to take care of my bag. maybe a silk sheet would be better for me?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I sewed a silk liner one time. I left one long side unsewn, and that corresponds to where my sleeping bag zipper would be. Then I used a bunch of very small safety pins to attach it to the inside. Without the safety pins, I would get tangled up in it instantly.

–B.G.–

Tyler Lego

@horsefarm

thats not a bad idea. think ill probably just buy one though and cut one side and restitch the edge so it wont run. maybe pin it to my pad if necessary. im sure even just using it as one would a normal sheet would help quite a bit. i use a quilt so dont have to worry about getting that part dirty as its just my pad.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Anyone know the weight of those eBay liners?

Chris Hyatt
    BPL Member

@cvhyattgmail-com

The one I got was 127 grams without the stuff sack.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The one that I sewed weighed slightly over 2.0 ounces.

–B.G.–

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

Here is one I made and want to share, I used the silk/wool blend from dharmatrading.com. 3 yards for 30 dollars, it adds a LOT of warms and know will be great solo in the summer in certain areas. This and 5 apex quilt and wool base layers got me to 15degrees. It weighs 5.5 ounces, has a double footbox and double over in the shoulders, with a slot to stuff clothing in for a neck roll. I love how easily I can slip and rotate smoothly in my quilt without moving the quilt. The downsides are that I put velcro on my sleeping quilt, and it loves to rip it. also it looks dirty really fast, but better that then the insulation.silkwool

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

I'm certainly interested in Bob's 2 oz silk liner. Any tricks to that?
    If you started selling these I'm guessing you'd sell a bunch on this forum.
    I only wish I could sew….

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

5mm Silk from Dharma weighs about .55 oz per SY.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I wear a windshirt at night to keep my sleeping bag clean since I might wear it hiking but I'm stuck wearing >5oz silk weight bottoms which I never wear hiking except for winter.

I'm intrigued by the liners mentioned here for weight savings alone.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Does anyone have a link to the silk that's only .55 oz per sq yard?
    There's several 5mm silk options….not sure which one to pick…

I wonder how much a pair of custom silk pj's would weigh if made from this stuff.
    Not sure how much warmth it would add, but it would be cool to have a 2oz silk hoody, and 2 oz bottoms to keep my bag clean, and serve as an extra layer.. :)

Silk baselayers seem like they would get icky after a while…nullifying the original purpose of keeping my bag clean….but a looser layer might stay clean if added between my baselayer and midlayer… Just dreamin here…

Anyone try this before?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools