Topic

sourcing water for chemical treatment

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) sourcing water for chemical treatment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mark trigg

@mopanic

Locale: The Ozarks

I have been a "heavy" filter user in my pre-BPL life and am making the transition to Aqua Mira chemical treatment for the first time. What I am worried about is how to physically collect water to treat when it must be sourced from a very small stream, etc. where the syphoning ability of the filter pump made collecting it a breeze. How do I gather the water to treat in very shallow areas?

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

In shallow areas where the flow is decent I will use my cook pot to scoop up water and fill my bottles that way. It takes some time but works well. On my last hike the water was so shallow that I followed it for a little bit and found a little water fall it went over and collected out of that.
    I've also heard of using a sponge or towel to soak up water from little pools and wringing it out. I've never been that desperate though.

Adam

John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

Very good question. I was also wondering that same particular situation. Can anyone else elaborate? I just realized that there is a thread 10 down from this one.

However, I've been in situations where my MSR Miniworks EX was a life saver. We got water out of a crack with water moving just the slightest. But I am also experimenting with Aqua Mira. 1 0z. VS 16 OZ.

John

Michael Demchak

@mikey

Locale: new england

personally, i've been carrying a small big mouth 20oz pop bottle and a big mouth liter pop bottle. i find this helps if the sources is a smaller puddle, i can get the smaller bottle in there and at the very least collect what i can and pour it into the bigger bottle, during this pouring process you can also use a coffe filter or what have you if thiers some solids.
    mike!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

A ziplock bag will work too for shallow areas.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> how to physically collect water to treat when it must be sourced from a very small stream
    With a small plastic drinking cup used for morning coffee…

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.

Does Aquamira treat cysts? The AM website lists an EPA reg number, but the epa website is awful.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Rob,

As I recall, Aqua Mira indicates that it kills cysts in their 4 hour time frame of treatment.

Rich

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

I use a .5 liter platy cut in half. It folds away easily and I can collect water from seeps and springs with it. I just pour the water into my 1 liter platy and fold it away until I need it again.

Johnathan White

@johnatha1

Locale: PNW

I simply find somewhere with a good sized divot in the ground and use my cooking pot.

You also have to take into the weigh-savings account the amount of water still in the filter! The MSR filter can hold, at least on my scale, 3 oz of water that it cannot purge.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools