Topic

Ideas for a 3 day trip in Colorado?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Ideas for a 3 day trip in Colorado?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tony L

@luch0623

I am fairly new to Colorado and am looking to do a 3 day trip next weekend. I live in the Denver area so I'd prefer something closer but I am not opposed to driving 5 hours or so. Right now I am thinking of doing Snowmass Mountain loop. It's a 23 mile loop over Buckskin Pass and Willow pass. It is one the same trail as the 4 pass loop for a day or so. Has anyone done this hike? Any info on it would be awesome.

Or if you have any other good 3 day loop hikes I would love to get some more ideas. I am looking for. 20-25ish mile loop.

Thank you !

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Last fall we did a great three-day trip into the Maroon Bells area near Aspen. Hardly anyone camping there then, I suspect it might be much different in the summer.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Hi Tony, the route you picked out is excellent. You can read about it here on my blog.

Read about a couple of closer in trips here and here .

All three are great loops in your mileage range. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Jay L
    BPL Member

@jjlash

Ive seen others say Indian Peaks is one of the more crowded places, but I really enjoyed my trip there a couple of years ago. We were initially looking at a partial loop from Isabella Lake, across Pawnee Pass, crater lake then back along a northern route to Camp Dick. That was too ambitious for our group so we did an out-and-back to Crater Lk.

Tony L

@luch0623

Thank you for the suggestions Dondo. BTW your blog is awesome thank you for sharing! It made me soooo excited for the upcoming Snowmass Mtn loop. There is no way I could pass that trip up after seeing your pics. I am just slightly worried about the snow over Buckskin and Willow passes. I did an out and back 1 nighter 2 weeks ago to Crater Lake (Indian peaks) below Pawnee pass and there was still A LOT of snow.

So glad I found your blog cause now I have years worth of great trips! Thanks again!

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Happy to help, Tony. I'm also wondering about conditions on the high passes. Let us know about your trip. My guess is that you'll really enjoy it.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Tony, just back from Indian Peaks. Your worries about snow are justified. It's still spring conditions in the high country. Lots of snow fields still covering the trails. I'm assuming that the same conditions prevail in Maroon Bells, so be careful up there.

Drew Smith
    BPL Member

@drewsmith

I was in Crested Butte 2 weekends ago, and the passes were very difficult – one couple said they thought they were going to get swept away fording W Maroon Cr. At Diamond L in the Indian peaks last weekend the drifts were 3-4 ft deep. So it is still very much early summer conditions in CO.

A good bet is Lost Cr Wilderness, which I believe Dondo has described in his excellent blog. Another, more remote candidate for your consideration would be the Troublesome wilderness, especially if you are interested in fishing. Some easy 3-day loop trips at lower altitudes are possible on the east side.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Here is the latest update on 4 Pass Loop conditions

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=43709&p=536131#p536131

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I, too, was in the IPW last weekend.

I had a different experience and found the passes/trails to be snow free.

The only time my friend and I encountered significant snow is when I went off trail:

http://www.pmags.com/devils-thumb-off-trail-option

Even that was pretty consolidated and easy walking IMO.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools