Topic

Neutrogena Lip Balm

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Neutrogena Lip Balm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Richard Mccarver

@rmccarver

Locale: United States

Just thought I would share, Neutrogena Lip Balm is also 30 SPF, so essentialy you could also use it as a suntan lotion stick and forgo carrying both items. Would be great for face, ears and neck.

Kathleen Prince-Sayward
    BPL Member

@kps143

Locale: Eastern

Most lip balms have a high oil content and can help start your fire if you in less than ideal conditions.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

most lip balms have some SPF.

I haven't planned it that way, but have used lip balm as sunscreen in a pinch.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You can also use sunscreen as a lip balm, although it isn't very tasty.

–B.G.–

matthew rangel
    BPL Member

@mrangel

I've used lip balm on my shoes full grain leather boots in the winter while hiking in snow. It is very good at keeping water from soaking into the leather. My boots needed more water proofing treatment but I didn't realize it until I was already hiking. It really worked great!

Christian Edstrom
    Spectator

@bjorn240

Locale: Westchester County, NY

In addition to making the M/90 camo pattern, the greatest wool cardigan/insulating layer ever (värmetröja 90), and good winter mittens, the Swedish military also makes a lip balm: Försvarets Hudsalva

It is 99% fat, extremely low water content (so good for putting on the skin in extremely cold weather), and made from peanut oil, tallow, and vanilla.

Recommended uses include application to hotspots, lips, and exposed skin in cold weather. Also works well for waxing skis, frying dinner, and in a pinch, eating for some extra calories.

Swedish lip balm

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Seriously, I have seen nasty frostbite on XC race skiers at the 1979 World Cup races when I was ski patrolling there at Van Hovenburg in Lake Placid. Ears, cheeks and noses were the first to get frostbitten. Temps were -20 F. Wind chills at the racers' downhill speeds may have been -40 F. Later that day skiers covered their faces with Vaseline and avoided the problem so I'd bet lip balm will work well too.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Peanut oil….that **** is evil. If anyone wants a great all purpose oil, in winter, just use coconut. Virgin coconut oil that is. You can use it on almost anything….

Christian Edstrom
    Spectator

@bjorn240

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I'm sorry, but do you have any evidence for the evil of peanut oil? Seems pretty benign to me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools