Topic

Same Caldera Cone, 3 pots, AGG 3 cup=Toaks .9L wide

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Same Caldera Cone, 3 pots, AGG 3 cup=Toaks .9L wide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

My Caldera cone that is sized to fit a 3 cup AGG anodized aluminum pot also fits a Snow Peak Ti bowl and a Toaks 900 ml 130 mm wide pot.

To the brim volumes:
    22.4 oz. Snow Peak Trek Ti Bowl $16.95 at many Snow Peak retailers 50 g/1.75 oz.
    29.8 oz. AGG 3 cup anodized aluminum pot $15.95 traildesigns.com 76 g/2.7 oz.
    30.5 oz. 900ml Toaks 130mm Ti pot $45 free shipping toaksoutdoor.com 76 g/2.7 oz.

The $16 anodized AL pot sold without handles is the same weight as the $45 Toaks pot with 12 gram handles. It is easy to drill the lip of the AL pot to install a small, wire bail handle on it that weighs less than the competitor's 12 gram handles.
    The Toaks Ti lid weighs an ounce, 28+ grams.

My next purchase will be the 1.25 inches taller 1300 ml Toaks pot of the same 130 mm diameter for melting snow in the winter. That pot is not on Trail Designs list of compatible pots. At some point, the stove in the cone will not burn as well when the bottom of the pot is too close to it, but (1) Ti stakes through the sides of the cone will elevate the pot and (2) the Zelph Stoves modified Starlyte stove is shorter than the cone's 1210 stove and is made for use in a Caldera Cone.

Note that Toaks lists their pots by the diameters, but Trail Designs does not stock cones for every diameter. When buying a Caldera cone for a Ti pot, consider choosing the same diameters for your solo three season pot and your two person or winter pot in order to own one cone for year 'round use. Tell your spouse that saves enough to justify buying the Ti cone.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

The "StarLyte Stove" with stainless steel pot support will support the pot and would eliminate the need for ti stakes. The taller pot will rest on the stoves support and also the cone will provide stability side to side.

I have read that someone had success with the Fancee Feest stove being used under the cone. Can't remember what pot was being used.

Paul Kilroy
    BPL Member

@punchcard

I've been thinking about this exact setup.. Do you have any pics of how you store this setup?

I'm very interested to see if the Snow Peak bowl nests inside the Toaks pot — Since the bowl doesn't go straight down on the sides, I was hoping you it did nest well. If it does, I'm also wondering how it would work as a dry baking setup.

Thanks

bump?

Paul Kilroy
    BPL Member

@punchcard

Anyone know how the Snow Peak bowl fits in this pot?

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

I do not have the Sidewinder cone so this is just speculation. The Snow Peak bowl has sloped sides, so it will nest, but with its more narrow bottom, it will likely not accept the Sidewinder windscreen in the SP bowl.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I have the same cone, Toak .9 l, and snow peak bowl. Have you tried cooking in the snow peak bowl with this set up. The snow peak bowl is shorter, so I wondered how it burns.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Joe,

Thanks for the "research". I've always wondered if my Trail Designs 3 cup pot was the largest in that diameter. Now I know it (nearly) is.

BTW, I have a Wally Mart ceramic coated tiny fry pan ("1 egg pan") that works on the 3 cup pot sized cone. I cut the handle off and use pot grippers. It's for omelets and pancakes, sausage and bacon, mainly in winter.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools