Topic

Weather for September in “Oregon Outback”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Weather for September in “Oregon Outback”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dave T

@davet

Hi there.

Any Oregon/NW folks have a good idea about possible weather in the "Oregon Outback" in early September? Thinking about doing a bikepacking trip across Oregon from Klamath Falls to the Columbia River (Deschutes Park) around then.

I know the water sources will be minimal, but they are probably minimal after May anyway, right?

The only time I have heard about folks doing it was in May, but I'm thinking the weather might be good (i.e. cooling off) in September also? When does the real chance of rain set in again? October?

Any info welcome!

Thanks!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

September is a crapshoot but early September *should* be pretty good. Once you leave Klamath Falls, if you head north by northeast, you'll generally encounter drier climate. North by northwest you'll probably encounter more precipitation. In the Cascades in September, I've been dumped on and encountered temperatures dipping to the low 40s high 30s one week only to be greeted with bluebird skies and >85* temperatures the week following.

You can order historical weather data for free from weather.gov

Dave T

@davet

Thanks Ian. The route is Klamath Falls, N and eastish, east of Bend, to the Dalles area, and is definitely in the drier part of the state. (From my PCT hike, I unfortunately definitely know you can get tons of rain in Oregon in August and September!).

I assume it's more predictably nice in May? Or maybe not? Trying to balance the rain odds with the heat.

I'll check the historic info… thanks!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think September would be a great time to go. Generally, the weather is fantastic, although there is always a chance you'll get rain. Cycle Oregon (an annual 7-day ride through different parts of the state) is in September and I think this year's route is in the northern part of the Deschutes river valley, where you'll be heading. Of course, they get hot showers, food and music every night!

Edit: I just read your intended route and agree with Ian about the weather. It's always a gamble, but I think you'll get decent weather; just be prepared for 40s at night and have a comfortable shelter.

Good luck!

Dave T

@davet

Thanks for the info. The route I'm thinking about is 70% dirt and 360 miles or so, Klamath Falls to the Columbia. And then probably down the Columbia to the train in Portland.

oregon

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Early September is about the best time – crowds gone, bugs gone, weather still good

Occasionally there will be some rain but you're East of the Cascades where there's less rain

I bet it will be hot. 85 F, maybe hotter.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I can't remember off of the top of my head but I believe much of that route will be above 3000' so +1 to what Jerry and Steven said. Probably warm to hot days with some pretty cold nights.

Dave T

@davet

Might end up being pushed into first week of October. I'll make it a go/no go call based on the week out forecast and bring proper tent/raingear/warm clothing in case.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

In Portland, at least, it invariably starts pouring the first weekend in October. If my memory of the past 8 years is accurate.

I haven't been east of the Cascades that time of year yet.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

"In Portland, at least, it invariably starts pouring the first weekend in October. If my memory of the past 8 years is accurate."

Actually we have had some great weather in October. Yes it does start raining, but there is usually a week or so of good weather in October in the PNW. A number of years ago I spent close to a week in October in the Enchantments in perfect weather. Last year I spent the 21,22, & 23rd in the Bull of the Woods wilderness near PDX. Hiked all three days in a short sleeve shirt!

So we do get some good weather in October, finding it can be the problem!

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Last year we were in Portland the first weekend in October…Weather was great, no rain. Hope it repeats again this year, as we're planning to go back the same time.

Dave T

@davet

Definitely hoping any rain gets wrung out partly/mostly by the Cascades. I'll be over in the drier lowlands, so we'll see!

Dylan Boyle
    Spectator

@boyledyl

Hey David T, I'm looking at doing the same this year and was wondering how your trip went last year? I'm thinking of starting a bit later, mid october. Idea is to do the whole ride, and when I hit the Columbia turn west and bike to portland to catch a train home. How was the weather last year?? Any advice? Thanks!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools