Topic

Simple 12.3oz Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Simple 12.3oz Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Peter Boysen
    BPL Member

@peterboysen

Despite working for a gear company (Enlightened Equipment) I don't actually work on many products from beginning until the end, so this was a big learning process for me. I just used a pattern Tim Marshall had around the shop and tried putting it together. Most of my trips are canoe camping so I didn't need anything particularly oriented towards long hikes; just basic portages. I don't remember the volume offhand, but I think it was 2500-3000ci. No frame, no frills. Roll top closure. A few foibles (I put the left pocket on the right side, and vice versa, and a few measuring errors) but on the whole I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.Pack-BackPack-Front

I'm planning at some point to make a little pouch to attach for simple items like snacks and maps, etc. so I don't have to open up the main compartment to get at them. Thanks for looking.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I've trained a lot of people to sew the specifics of my quilts over the last few years but Peter is the first one that has caught the bug for making his own gear. The vast majority of our quilts from 2012-2013 were stuffed by Peter but he only had to sew 3" on each quilt to close the stuffing hole. This year as we moved out of my basement and into a shop a few blocks away Peter has moved into the roll of customer service and communications. He had a big hand in our new website and does the regular updates and maintainance for it. He also posts most of our social media stuff these days. Notice he is not a sewer;). I think its really fun watching him learn how to sew (a hoodlum was his first project I believe). As he built this pack I couldn't stop looking at it across the shop. I really love the colors and how he arranged them. I probably should have offered a little more help but I am very impressed not only how it turned out but how he stole my pack, my patterns and my new fabrics to get it all done;)

Good job my friend

-Tim

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

I bet he can sew a zipper on better than you, Tim. :) Nice job, Peter!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I can sew the zipper I just can't ever figure out which side it goes on;)

-Tim

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

That's a nice looking little pack. Now just keep working on your left vs. right. If my 3 year old can figure it out, then so can you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools