Topic

Flat tarps, rectangular tarps and bivy sacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Flat tarps, rectangular tarps and bivy sacks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

As I start to get interested in bike touring and bikepacking I realize that camping space and packed size can be at a premium. My usual backpacking rig is a Duomid or a Shangri-La 2 but both of these require hiking poles and a decent amount of flat ground which seems less optimal for touring.

I am currently thinking about a 5.5×9' sil tarp but have no experience with small rectangular solo tarps. I have an OR bug bivy which I could pair with it, but I know that a lot of tarpers seem to prefer a solid bivy to pair with their tarp for the water resistance.

Am I going to have enough coverage with a 5.5×9' sil tarp? Am I going to regret not having a solid bivy? Is there any instance where I might wish I had a 9×9' instead? What are good techniques to use for a rectangular tarp?

Finally, a point on site selection: I expect that since my trips will have less opportunity for scouting since I will probably often be extremely tired and not be looking for a place to stay until late in the day, I might be forced to choose campsites that are less than stellar.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

If you're going to be in a bivy any way, why not get an event bivy. Lighter than the tarp bivy combo, smaller foot print, and you could leave you sleeping bag etc. packed in it for convenience.

:)

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Bikepacking and bike touring is my specialty! And yes, you're right, flat ground is almost ALWAYS at a premium. When you do find nice, open tracts of forest to camp in, you're almost always at the forest edge. Edge environment has a much greater number of shrubs, small trees, and briars thanks to sun exposure.

I second the full eVent bivy. It'll be durable enough not to fuss with it, and you'll have complete protection without needing a footprint any larger than yourself.

I myself use the Borah Gear Snowyside bivy.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I have an OR Alpine Bivy currently, which I understand is a lot less breathable than an eVent bivy, but it is what I have and means I don't have to spend extra. I also have the OR Bug Bivy, which is a full mesh top and a nylon bottom, very durable but obviously no rain protection.

Naturally the cheapest way to proceed from here is to either just suck it up and use the Alpine Bivy (not keen on it) or buy a small tarp to pair with the Bug Bivy.

I am reluctant to go with the Borah Snowyside bivy on cost alone, and paired with a general dislike for bivvying in damp weather it seems like the most unappealing option to buy another full on waterproof bivy.

Since I use a down quilt the threat of condensation is a very real concern. I do have a synthetic sleeping bag, but at my self-imposed limitations of 16L for all sleep storage I think the synthetic bag rules itself out.

Paul H

@phsycle

Locale: Rockies

I just placed an order for a Borah regular bivy and 8×10 tarp. I was looking at the eVent bivy and while it would be very nice and small, I think I would do better with the "openness" of a tarp. I don't suffer from claustophobia, but I think it would feel too cramped for me. But I may get an eVent bivy eventually. I'll have to test out this combo first.

I just hope it packs down pretty small. That is the only concern I have. I have a Revelate tangle frame bag and was hoping to just use a day pack for all of the gear.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Paul, It packs down to a bit smaller than a canteloupe. My XSmall-sized Sea to Summit eVent compression sack pulls it down to the minimum compression size. About 6 inches in diameter.

This is about an inch smaller than the Revelate Designs Tangle on the sides, and obviously much smaller on depth. I can fit it in the tangle along with all my rain gear, a fleece, and some knick-knacks. I could probably fit a summer sleeping bag in the tangle with the bivy.

That being said… the eVent bivy at Mountain Laurel Designs is smaller, lighter, and more packable. Also $250 more expensive.

Choose three: Waterproof, Breathable, Packs Small, Cheap

Paul H

@phsycle

Thanks, Max. I'm assuming you're referring to your MLD eVent bivy when you're talking dimensions, and not the Borah bivy and tarp. For packing, I may put the lighter stuff in my pack (bivy/tarp, sleeping bag, etc.) and the heavier stuff–water, stove, food, etc–on the bike somewhere. I hope to refine my pack list so I won't have to carry any more than what I can fit in my backpack and Tangle bag (for weekend trips and S24O's). Also been toying with the idea of getting rid of the backpack and getting a saddle bag. Discussion for another thread, probably (sorry, OP).

Great blog, by the way, Max.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Oh, sorry, I'm talking about the Borah gear eVent bivy. That's the only one I own, and I don't use a tarp.

Also, I made a mistake; I have a Revelate Designs Tangle, but I was actually talking about the Viscacha Seat Bag.

Oops!

Paul H

@phsycle

Finally got my bivy and tarp. Seamstress at Borah had some health issues, so it was delayed a bit, but communication was great and products seem exactly what I need!

The bivy packs super small. Maybe 5" long and 2-3" rolled up. Tarp (decided on the 9×9) is about 7" long, 4" diameter. These will fit in my tangle bag, no problem.

Also, my ULA CDT pack is much lighter, as well as more roomy now that I've taken out the old (but trusty) Kelty tent. I'll keep it around for desert campouts, as it keeps the sand out better.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Bump it up to a 9×9 or 10×10 tarp and you won't need a bivy unless you are encountering intense wind driven rain.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I've always been a tent carrier. Never did the tarp thing but I've made the switch for my Wonderland trip buying a 8 x 10 Hyperlight cuben tarp, Borah bivy and I updated my sleeping system to use a synthetic quilt rather than down.

I've been a devout down user for over 20-years and for the most part, I've only rarely had problems keeping my down bags "dry enough". With the move to a tarp I figured I'd just remove the concern. The newer synthetic option I'm using is the same weight as my old down bag (27 oz). I also layer a down hooded puffy and carry down booties (Goosefeet) so I've not completely given up on down insulation. I will wear down layers inside the synthetic layer so if there are condensation issues in a bivy, it won't impact my down layers as much as having a down bag.

In terms of the footprint of the tarp, it takes up a lot of room in the back yard. I figured in the woods I could hang it over spaces where a tent won't go. A tarp doesn't care what is under it so you can conceivably just get creative and pitch it in many places over rocks, trees and unlevel ground that would be a no-go for the tent. That was an attraction for me as I like sleeping in non-traditional places.

I'll know soon enough if the system is a thumbs up or thumbs down. From the back yard experiment I see no reason why it won't work for me.

Paul H

@phsycle

Hadn't thought of that, kevperro. Makes good sense, though, as I sometimes had to go ways out to look for adequate flat ground for my tent. Not too bad for a solo tent, but the tarp definitely does give more options.

Regarding the 9×9 tarp sans bivy set up–too many mosquitos where I go (and maybe snakes/scorpions). I'm good with the Borah bivy with the bug screen…

Joel Brodkey
    BPL Member

@sergeant042

Stephen-

You might consider getting one of Henry Shires' TarpTents rather than combining both a separate bivy and a tarp. Some of his designs could be lighter and less expensive than the two individual components at which you're looking. Also, setting up the tent may be easier and less restricting than finding an ideal bivy/tarp location.

Just saying…

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I agree with the Event bivy. Make sure you have a mesh option in it somehow.

A carefully designed "dog tarp" could make all the world of difference in comfort using the bivy stealth camping. Eg, I dunno, a 4×4 foot square or something like that. Just take three stakes and a long guy line, do a simple flying diamond or simple lean to. Cuts wind, allows you to vent a bit, keeps you just that bit more comfy. Small tarp, and not used all the time so doesn't have to be overbuilt. .34oz cuben more than good enough and would last a long time in this application. Easy to build yourself with some cuben tape or glue.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

"Regarding the 9×9 tarp sans bivy set up–too many mosquitos where I go (and maybe snakes/scorpions). I'm good with the Borah bivy with the bug screen…"

Good point.

You could do a larger tarp and a lighter bug net bivvy thing with only the netting.

The great thing about a tarp is that it's so ventilated. I don't worry if my clothes are a little wet, they will dry out fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools