Topic

Practical Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Practical Backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

The rules for posting are laid out quite well. They are available as a sticky in each subsection of the forum.
    Sorry if I sound short about things like this. I've never met Reality and I'm not a moderator so I've got nothing to gain if PBF gains or loses another member. It just bugs when we people say "PBF is teh suck!!1one1!eleven!1, Reality be deletin' my postz for no reason!!" (Ok, so maybe I've never heard anyone say it in a way that immature/"internety" but you get the point) when the situation could have been avoided entirely if the poster had taken a few minutes when they first signed up to read the rules and standards. Just because its on the internet doesn't mean it should be a free-for-all, a little order here and there isn't such a bad thing.

Adam

PS- Again tarbubble, I'm not directing this at you. Its just something I felt needed saying and I just happened to do it in your thread. Sorry if I offended you or anyone else.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Adam:

You don't need to apologize after every post! :)

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I was worried I might upset Colleen or someone else and I really didn't mean to and wanted to make that clear.

Adam

PS- Sorr…. wait… never mind. :D

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

it's cool. i'm not typically one to complain and i always feel a little badly when i do.

the capitalization thing is open rebellion. i still capitalize in formal communiques, but for informal "conversation" i reject capitalization rules. we all have our quirks.

see, i don't use over at Whiteblaze, either. i'm unfamiliar with the icon system and so wasn't even aware that i could o it that way. and i did read the sticky regarding posting guidelines, but it looks like i somehow missed the link guidelines. sigh. i work all day long. i like my online conversations to be relaxed. with no bitterness, i don't seem to be a good match with PBF.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I prefer that letters be capitalized where appropriate. Reading a paragraph written exclusively in lower case is harder / more time consuming. I suppose it's better than reading something that's ALL CAPS… but given that we are writing for others to read, I feel that following convention and making it easier for others is more important than insisting on our own individual quirks…

EDIT: Maybe I should build my own forum? :)

Jessen Jacobsen
    BPL Member

@jessenj

Locale: Boulder

I look at it this way: If having a slight email inconvenience or taking the 8 seconds to embed a link are the some of the worst things that you have to deal with in any given day… then you are still having a pretty good day.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Hey Brian,
    Just to follow up, I talked to Bernie and confirmed that what you said is true, and as already mentioned above, it is indeed to reduce spam as others are doing.

So, I'd say give it a shot and see if you like it. If you really like it, then it's totally worth it. If not, then the most lost is a few minutes of your time. The content is quite good (especially the podcasts) and I know you would have a lot to contribute. Anyway, I hope you decide to try it out. There are some really cool gearheads over there too!

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Oh, no, no, figuring out how to follow somebody else's rules is not the hardest thing i have to do in a given day. That's a toss-up between soiled diapers, disciplining children, cooking meals, washing up after meals, doing laundry, grocery shopping with tantrum-throwing children, or mopping the floors. Today, toss in a trip to Home depot to approve the quote for new carpeting (we're getting ready to become landlords), driving across town to check out a house we might rent, taking my 5 year old for a TB test, and packing up a picnic dinner for Back To School Night.

My point is i choose to be lazy sometimes. Someday i may find the desire to expand my online skills, but most days i log on here for a wee little tiny break from the drudgery of my day-to-day life. Sometimes i think i love backpacking because then i don't have to wash any dishes, and who cares if everybody's dirty?

tempest in a teapot. i'm going to stick to the places where i know the rules and don't get silently deleted when i screw up. maybe today i need to challenge myself by figuring out how to embed a photo or a link into a message here.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Hi Colleen, I thought I saw your name come up the last week or so. I hope you're feeling welcome, because I know you've got plenty to contribute. (I'm a lurker on BPC, but an honorable one I promise)

I think you'll fit in just fine here, pretty much everyone is really friendly and helpful. This discussion is almost as heated as it gets on BPL (If you disregard any mention of BIg Sky!)

And just remember, those nappies don't last forever, it just seems that way.

Rod

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

LOL, thanks Rod. i actually feel quite welcome here on BPL, lots of good folk and good discussion here. i appreciate all honorable lurkers over on BPC and hope you all are getting something from the list.

going on 5.5 years of changing diapers. i have at least one more year left, unless we adopt a baby (no more baby-farming for my body), and then the clock re-sets!

Sean Thompson

@questtrek

Locale: Michigan

I have to tell you I understand the need to try to be lazy sometimes especially with kids. (I have two) and the youngest is just getting ready to start 1st grade Yeah!!!!!!!!!!! See I have been a stay at home dad and a full-time student for 4 years and its probably one of the hardest things I've done. A person goes to a website to try to escape sometimes and not have to read a million things to be able to participate. Yet it does seem to be the norm. I totally understand the protection process that some sites use. Spam is just getting way out of hand now days and could crash a sites. I like both BPL and PBF, I am just more familiar with the latter. They are both great places to learn and share. I hope you will enjoy both too.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools