Topic

MYOG mesh inner or bivy under shaped tarp on WT?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG mesh inner or bivy under shaped tarp on WT?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

I'm in the final stages of helping my 13 yo daughter gear up for a Wonderland Trail hike (she's going with my wife and I) at the end of the month. She'll be using the solo shaped tarp I built a few years ago, and have used successfully since under a variety of conditions. Pics of the tarp as used previously in Rainier NP are here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=52349

Given the time of year, I expect at least a couple buggy campsites on our trip. In the past, I've managed with a headnet, but I wouldn't call the experience pleasant. I've also had rodents run across my face a couple times–not surprisingly, neither of these situations appeal to my daughter.

So the options I've come up with for better bug protection and critter deterrence are either making a small mesh inner for the tarp, or making a bivy (prob. with mesh from the chest zipper up).

Advantages of mesh inner: a bit more room (I'm thinking 74" long, 48" wide at the front, tapering to 24" wide at the foot), easier entry/exit, better ventilation, more traditionally tent-like. Disadvantages: a bit heavier, a bit hard to pitch, maybe a bit more work to build.

Advantages of bivy: a bit lighter, a bit of added warmth, keeps pad and quilt in place. Disadvantages: more fiddly to enter/exit; potentially cramped, possible condensation issues.

Finally, for either option I need to decide on floor material. I have some fairly heavily coated 1.1 oz silnylon (~1.5-1.6 oz finished wt.), but rain at least one or two nights is likely, and required campsites can make site selection less that ideal. Do I need a floor with higher HH, or could I supplement with a sheet of polycryo if necessary?

Any input welcome.

Patrick Matte
    BPL Member

@jpmatte

I made a simple "tarp/tent" from silnylon/noseeum ala Jamie Shortt. It weighs 12.75 oz.Venting and bug protection plus lightness

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools