Topic

custom Lite Trail cook Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) custom Lite Trail cook Kit

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 338 total)
  • Author
    Gary Pikovsky
    BPL Member

@gosha007

Locale: New Hampshire White Mountains

Dan – I’m assuming the cup the 550ml cup that comes with it is the light cup 1.9oz cup.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

In staying with the backpackinglight theme, I’ll get the Toaks “light” 550 pot:

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Ok put me back in the “I’ll probably buy one” camp. :)

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Just as an FYI cup fits the lid from the gsi minimalist set and the GG cosy perfectly (though I guess the lid fit could vary from pot to pot). This gives you, for the small extra weight) a well-functioning insulated coffee/tea cup function.

Gary Pikovsky
    BPL Member

@gosha007

@RichieS – can you post a link to the GSI minimalist set and GG cosy?

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Sure.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/halulite-minimalist.html

http://gossamergear.com/warm-sack-ultralight-pot-cozy.html

What I would say is that it is an only just fit and I already owned the minimalist. I also don’t know what variation there is in Toaks pot diameters or if adding the rim would change things on a case-by-case basis – so at your own risk and all that,

The pot cosy works easily though.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I can confirm the Minimalist lid is a good fit. It’s 46 grams on my scale versus 17 grams for the Toaks lid.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

yeah it’s heavy no doubt – but does add a lot of functionality for a coffee drinker. I’d normally have a second cup of some sort anyways, and this would let me go without it.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

if you wanted to go the other way the Ruta Locura carbon lid also works well, (but just as a lid, not a cup) for 7g.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Today, Toaks said the 550’s with handles are on their way.

Has anyone used the new improved Starlyte burner?

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

The modified burner works well. I got to a boil in somewhere like 10-11 minutes last night with an almost full cup.

But then I didn’t really have much of a problem with the old one which was a smite quicker to the boil. There was a left flames flickering out on my burner but nothing too significant.

Ah, sign me up for a cup with handles (assuming it fits the original cone) once you get them done Dan.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Ok, some further testing saw the new burner bringing about 1.75 cups of cold (fridge door) water to the boil in about 12 minutes and c1oz of fuel went on to burn well for about seven minutes after boiling. The new design burner seems to deliver a much improved efficiency with far less heat being lost.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Richie, thanks a lot for posting those test results. good to know it’s working out. A lot of time and effort goes into getting the right diameter opening. it’s a good thing I like to boil water :-)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I ordered pot and cones a week ago, both orders have been shipped. Pots are due to arrive tomorrow.

Got this report back from Kaptainkriz over at Whiteblaze.net

05-01-2016, 13:10
    Kaptainkriz
    i just ran some tests with the 550 setup and was getting 2 cup boils outside in 55F/breezy with 16g. :D
    I’m liking this thing.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Unscientific testing of the cookset on a breezy, snowy May 1 morning at 7500′ in Arizona. Boy was busy boiling some ramen for breakfast (eww) in his Imusa cup and looked cold so I made him some instant coffee in my Zelph Toaks pot. I’m very pleased with the efficiency of the cookset with Esbit. I got a soft boil of 1 cup of water with 1.5 four gram Esbit tablets.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I got a soft boil of 1 cup of water with 1.5 four gram Esbit tablets.

Yes, that’s doing just fine. Thanks for the feed back. Looks cold up in those elevations, when does spring arrive :-)

I ordered some Toaks cross bars for my kit. My goto fuel is wood. I’m going to see how well the 3″ tall cone works with 2 cross bars on bottom and top. White man make little fires ;)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I got a soft boil of 1 cup of water with 1.5 four gram Esbit tablets.

…just keeping in mind that a full boil at 7500′ elevation is ~195°F and a ‘soft boil’ is perhaps ~185°F(?)

Plenty warm for coffee and instant oatmeal but perhaps a bit more is needed for FBC, etc, and a really efficient cozy for rehydrating.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I use 185 degree water in Mountain House “chicken-n-rice” wait 5 min. no cozy….enjoy…..plenty hot……warms the tummy….makes things right :-)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Pots and cones came in today.

Ridgelines are applied, ready to ship tomorrow.

Gary Pikovsky
    BPL Member

@gosha007

Dan – how can I order the 550ml set with the handles? [email protected]

Zack h
    BPL Member

@want2belite

Same here!

Abraham Schlossberg
    BPL Member

@ernda

Locale: Southern California

Me too!  Take my money already!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The kit can be order in Gear Deals

Modified Toaks 550 Titanium pot with handles

P.S.   I only have 6 kits

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

3 sold

only 3 left

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

5 sold

1 left

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 338 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools