Topic

custom Lite Trail cook Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) custom Lite Trail cook Kit

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 338 total)
  • Author
    James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

About a year ago I saw a post by Dan Y, aka Zelph, where he added a ridge to a ti pot which got me thinking. After some emails between him and Rand over at trail designs, I have this: a custom ridged ti pot and custom ti tri sidewinder for the 550ml pot. The set up works equally well with esbit or alcohol. I suppose wood would work too. (haha wood would, wouldchuck?) the esbit burner you see is basically the bottom of a starlyte stove with the vent holes. It works well to not leave a lot of esbit gunk on the pot.

Thank you Dan and Rand :)

pots stuff

no lid

lid on

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Ohhhhhhhhh Mama!

I've wanted very thing. Years ago TD made me a custom aluminum cone for the nearly identical pot (I have the LT as well) but it's not ideal. How badly do flames shoot out?

Also, how is the esbit efficiency? For instance, do you have fuel left over after a 16oz boil?

I'll trade you a tenth grader for it.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Nice! What is the weight of the cone, and how efficient is it with Esbit?

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

IIRC the weight is about an ouce. I'll get my scale out and double check the weight. I remember it doesnt actually save weight over the original Lite Trail kit though. It will pack up and stay rolled up without the sleeve if i want it too. I was kind of hoping for a vertically rolled ti tri, but Rand said he could make a taller cone if it was stored like a sidewinder.

Efficiency in my kitchen is great! Though no Esbit sorcery by any means. Yes I have esbit left over after boiling 2 cups. Is it enough to boil 2 more cups? No. It will get warm, almost warm enough for coffee or hot chocolate ~ 150*F but that's about it. Out hiking and especially if its cold or the water is cold, or both, I'll just let one whole esbit burn, its more of a hassle to try and save to use later.

Do flames shoot out the vent holes? No. I've not experienced that, yet. I won't say that can't happen, but it hasn't happened so far.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Found my scale. The cone weighs 0.6oz and the tyvek sleeve just bumps it up to 0.7oz.that means it's an equal weight with my original LT Cook Kit. So no weight savings but it is cool to have a sidewinder cone for the pot.

:)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The reasons why I would trade both my TD Sidewinder/Evernew 600ml pot and my Lite Trail Solid Fuel kit for this kit:

1. Keep the mug
    2. Multi fuel
    3. I find that on occasion, my Lite Trail windscreen gets caught on the ti wing stove when trying to put it in place and after I've lit the Esbit. The cone would fix this.
    4. No rubber band to melt or break

Looks like Lite Trail is out of stock at the moment and he mentioned that he's selling the business. I'd really like to put together a kit like this. Anyone know of a source for the handle-less Toaks 550ml mug?

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Ian, if you mean the Toaks 550ml mug rather than the Litetrail/Toaks 550ml mug, it's available directly from Toaks: http://toaksoutdoor.com/titanium550mlpotnh.aspx

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Perfect and thanks!

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Sweet! I wonder if I could send Dan my pot, and have Rand make me the windscreen. I don't care much for the reuglar windscreen for the same reasons Ian posted.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Yes, I can do custom Ridgelines on pots Mark a line on the outside of the pot(without handles) where the 2 cup level is and the Ridgeline will be placed there for a multipurpose feature.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Ian,

From your post it's clear you want the cone for more than one reason, but just wanted to throw out there that the LiteTrail is almost dual fuel as is:

Just set a tealight tin on the esbit tray and voila! I use this with an even smaller, lighter pot on occasion (just because I can :) ) and it gets a rolling boil with up to 10 oz water. I could probably boil more but haven't yet.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Dan,

Any chance you can add that ridge to a Toaks Mug with handles? My thought was that the ridge would run and support the mug the cone 75% and the handle would cover the other 25%?

I'd be interested to use this kit with a modified Starlyte and Gram Cracker. Will the OP's kit work with both at that height?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Just set a tealight tin on the esbit tray and voila!"

Good idea Todd.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Height from the bottom of the pot to the "ground" is ~2". This accommodates both a starlyte (modified or not) and a gram cracker. The ridge on my pot is not at the 2cuplevel. I'm not sure right off the top of my head what volume level the ridge is at.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

It's hard to tell by looking at the picture but it appears to be below half so less than a cup maybe?

Thanks for the info regarding the gram cracker and starlyte.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Inquiring minds need to know! :0)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Ian, I can apply the ridgeline to a pot with handles but trail Designs may not want to deal with that type of project. You would have to cut out the section for the handles.

Cost of applying a ridgeline would be $10.00 + $3.50 for return postage. I can create a special page at my site and have a link to it via this thread only. The page will be visible only through the link.

I'll create the page and be back later this evening and post it.

If I remember right, the ridgeline On James' pot was placed at a point so the distance from ground to bottom of pot would be 2" That dimension determined the the hight of the screen and in turn was able to fit sideways in his pot.

So, placing the ridgeline at the 2 cup level may not work well…..sorry, just had that thought. I received a message earlier this morning asking about that and that's why I posted it in my previous comment.

opps, had another flashback…. James wanted the windscreen to fit sideways into his pot and that is what determined the height of the windscreen. I think I made an aluminum one and it worked so James went to TD and inquired. The rest is history. James jump in here and help me remember. :-))))

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks Dan! I'll contact TD later today and see what they think.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Dan, you are correct. I was looking for exactly what you see here. I asked for a ridge that would accommodate a cone. You provided the ridge making skills and I then went to TD for a ti cone. You did mock up a cone out of aluminum as proof of concept which gave me the confidence to approach TD with my request.

Thanks,

Rand Lindsly
    BPL Member

@randlindsly

Locale: Yosemite

All:

Just one note……before you get too far down the path of getting titanium pots modified, we're not 100% sure we'll be doing cones for it……not saying "no" just yet…..just saying that it's not a 100% slam dunk. As I recall from the work with James, having the ridge in the right location was not sufficient to work with the cone. The ridge also had to be the right shape. If the bottom face of the ridge has too shallow of an angle, it can wedge itself into the top of the cone and work its way through. So, just a heads up……

Rand :-)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Ok officially on stand-by. Will you post an update here or should we contact you individually?

And since you're in this thread, does a mug with the handle and ridge sound do-able?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"The ridge also had to be the right shape. If the bottom face of the ridge has too shallow of an angle, it can wedge itself into the top of the cone and work its way through."

If the ridge were simply larger, then wouldn't that work?

–B.G.–

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Remember the Fire Pot project?

I have about 30 of the mugs left. I can put a ridgeline on those if anyone is interested in their own DIY.

I just don't have enough time to do the entire kits again.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=81271

Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Locale: Boulder, CO

This is exactly what I've been looking for! A super light, 550ml sidewinder.

Please let us know if you'll be doing this Rand!

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I've been looking over my summer schedule and find that it's best for me not to take on another project such as the custom Titanium pot Ridglines. Sorry!!! Hope you all can understand where I'm coming from.

I will be doing a video on the Olicamp Ion stove and the ridgline pots to demo how well the flat bottom pots stay put on the pot supports. As many of you know there is a lip around the bottom of the pot. That lip keeps the pot supports firmly in place, no more slipping of pots of the stove. An added plus is the combined weight of the pot and stove pot make it the lightest set-up on the market in regards to canister types. The diameter of the pot is the same as the pot supports when they are extended.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 338 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools