Topic

New Waterproof lightweight camera help needed fast

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography New Waterproof lightweight camera help needed fast

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have been using 2 cameras for backpacking the past few years, the waterproof Olympus 720SW that while it doesn't take the best pictures, it gets used a lot both backpacking and in water sports. I also have a Canon S90 that I use on backpacking trips out west where water isn't as big of a concern and I want better image quality.

The SW720, which is waterproof is dying. I used it on a rafting trip yesterday and when I tried to connect the usb cable, it wouldn't connect because water had corroded the connection. I imagine this was from salt water when some friends took it to Jamaica last month. The camera is from 2006 and has a couple thousand miles on it so its not like I haven't gotten my use out of it, but here is the kicker, I am leaving for the beach with the family on Saturday and need to take the waterproof and dust(sand) proof camera for the pool and beach, so I need something quick. I am not sure what options I have locally, but I might can order something and have it shipped two day.

What would you recommend for a replacement waterproof camera? I would be willing to spend a little money to get one that would replace my Canon S90 as my other camera, but I doubt that any have a good enough image quality to replace it as I know there are some tradeoffs for a waterproof lens.

I want something reasonably light ( ~8oz or less ) and don't care about GPS, WiFi or any of that garbage. I just want the best image quality, good battery life, and ease of use. I am not a photography person and just shoot in auto modes, so manual control is not a must.

I did look at the DP Review for waterproof cameras and they seemed to like the Olympus TG-3 the best. What do you say from a backpacking prospective?

Thanks for the help

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You might want to clarify what you are looking for. Waterproof is a term to describe it when you are taking the camera underwater. Weatherproof is a term to describe it when you are operating the camera in rain, and that is about the same as splashproof.

There are several good cameras that are weatherproof, and the seals on all of the external controls are good for rain or splashes. However, you won't see much of that on a camera under 8 ounces.

–B.G.–

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Check out the Nikon AW120 at Best Buy or B&H.

It does have WiFi and GPS, but you don't have to use them.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I am not looking for waterproof, as in diving and snorkling, but I do take it to the pool, where it does get dunked, the same when I go rafting. I would also like it to survive water crossings, as I have had several waist deep fords backpacking, and I would like to not have to stop and put the camera in a dry bag as I do with my Cannon S90.

The waterproof capabilities of my Olympus 720SW (which I think was 10ft for 1 hour) has been perfect over the past 8 years.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

What I would love is to replace both my dying waterproof Olympus 720sw and my canon s90 with one waterproof, large sensor, lightweight camera but it doesn't seem like such an animal exists. Is there any hope for someone building one?

I can either buy a new waterproof camera for this trip or buy a xd memory card reader for my Olympus and see if it makes it through the trip.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Seems like the AW1, previously mentioned, comes close.

1" sensor per their specs posted on DP review

Max resolution 4608 x 3072
    Image ratio w:h 3:2, 16:9
    Effective pixels 14 megapixels
    Sensor photo detectors 15 megapixels
    Sensor size 1″ (13.2 x 8.8 mm)
    Sensor type CMOS
    Processor EXPEED 3A
    Color space sRGB

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-1-aw1/2

If you're willing to exchange waterproof for weatherproof, the A7/R/S looks like a nice option for a mirrorless full frame camera.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

The Nikon AW1 does seem like a good choice but it is quite a bit heavier then I would like. I would really like a waterproof Sony RX100 with no additional weight.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

To put a new spin on an old meme….

1) Quality sensor/glass
    2) Lightweight/pocketable
    3) Waterproof/weatherproof

Pick the two you want. Hopefully someone will mention an option that has all three as that'd be pretty sweet.

FWIW I carry the A6000 which is pretty comparable to the AW1 as far as size and weight goes. It's fairly new to me but of the two backpacking trips it's been on, I've found that it's not too cumbersome to carry.

How I carry it:

1 hang camera around neck
    2 put on pack
    3 put left hand through strap so the camera is carried diagonly across chest

How I deploy it (lens cap stays off):

1 turn on camera
    2 pull left arm back through strap
    3 if time permits, wipe off lens
    4 take picture

While not perfect, this keeps the camera from bouncing off of my chest as I hike and I can deploy the camera within a few seconds. By the time the viewfinder is up to my eye, the camera is on and ready to go.

I encountered rain on both trips. With the 16mm lens on, I put the camera in a ziplock bag and carry it in my jacket pocket.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

OK, here is what I decided on. I ordered a Panasonic TS25 for my waterproof camera replacement, nothing fancy, but surely as good as my 2006 vintage 720sw, and found a used RX100 to play with. See what happens when I start poking around looking at toys!

Thanks for your help guys (and gals)

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Too late now, but this is what I used to make my S100 waterproof (I've only used it a couple times in shallow water). Not the most convenient but gets the job done with some minor (to me) limitations. They make other sizes, too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools