Topic

Any thoughts on the HMG 4400 Southwest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any thoughts on the HMG 4400 Southwest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Hi all, I'm looking for a pack that can carry bulky items when needed and lots of food when required as well (50-60lbs total weight). I may be playing porter for my girlfriend soon. I've read that these packs seem to pack high but are wider in circumference than the 3400 series packs.

Do the 4400 line of packs fit a BV500 on it's side?

Any long torso people use one? My torso is 23 inches and the tall version for this pack is listed at 21" +, not sure exactly what this means, I've had packs in the past made for 21" torsos and the hip belts always rest very uncomfortably on me. I have a ULA catalyst and the large is a perfect fit, but the main compartment is not big enough for me to carry for food for two people and extra gear.

Does the 4400 southwest pack have a good compression system? It seems a little different that the compression system for the porter.

I'm interested in the southwest (versus the porter) as I really don't like fiddling with bottle holders or hydration bladders, and as cheesy as they are to some people I like hip belt pockets. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

Hi pat,
    While I don't have the SW I do have a wind rider 4400. I add a couple pictures here to try and help out. I also should mention this is a size large. The first picture is looking at the bottom with a BV450, I know it's the the 500 but I don't have one. Anyway, the circumference at the bottom of the bag is narrower than at the top so I bet a 500 would fit on its side easily. Other shots are random attempt at dimensions of my pack. I don't know if they'll help or not. It's also last season's model so there will be a few things different about a new one than mine but this one works so well for me. I really like the hip belt pockets on this model. One zipper pull and easy one handed operation. As to the top heavy load; well if you fill it up there is a ton of space at the top which would explain why they can be top heavy I guess. I end up being the pack animal for my family's adventures while my wife carry what I can't in her Elemental horizons kalais. I hope this has somewhat answered a few of your questions.hmgbvhmg2

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

The fact that the stay is only 21 inches worries me . . . I'm worried it will be quite uncormfortable at that size. Do you know how long your torso is? Thanks for the pics they are helpful. I have a bv450 as well so ill try to do a rough estimation.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Torso, my wife tells me my torso length is 20". So the large fits me great. I tried a medium porter once but found it too small. I hope you find something that works for you.

:)

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I wish I could try one out in person I may have to go with a more traditional pack. . Thanks for your help. Anyone with a long torso that has an hmg 4400 pack feel free to chime in.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Patrick,
    Have you considered a Circuit or a Catalyst? The XL torso size states 24" and you will have the opportunity to shift the belt up or down somewhat to fine tune placement on your hips.

James,
    Since you have both the HMG and the Kalais in the house, how does the Kalais do – fit and load carry and overall comort wise?

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

I view them as two different packs for different purposes. They are both comfortable, carry their respective load well, and are pretty :)

The Kalais has more bells and whistles. Ie, load lifters, more cinch points, a more adjustable his belt and 3d mesh back panel.

The hmg doesn't have those things but does it need them? No.

I do like to fiddle with things so the kalais is nice for that. You can make microscopic tweeks to the pack while you hike. But both packs are comfortable, carry loads well on my hips, are well constructed, and serve different purposes. Different horses for different courses my dad would say.

:)

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I have a few hundred miles on my 4400 SW (purchased in early 2013). It is currently the only pack I own. I use it for day hikes and week-long backpacks. The compression system works well and I find it quite versatile (you can re-route the straps multiple ways, even secure the top drybag style). A large portion of the pack's volume lies near the top.

I've only had it loaded up to 38 or so lbs (mostly food and water). It carried well enough at that weight. I suspect 40-45 lbs would be the most I would want to carry in the pack – anything more and I'd look at packs with more padding or something like the Paradox Unaweep.

I wear a size Medium, so can't help with the long torso question.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I have a catalyst in large size, it fits real well but i want a pack with real volume in the main pocket. My mesh pocket is torn trying to avoid relying on one for gear. Im also looking for a pack that can hold 50lbs not sure the 4400 is really for me.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

On vacation right now but have 4400 porter, 23" torso and the bear canister and have carried 60 plus pounds many miles in this pack. Love it. Will take some pics when I get back home.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools