Topic

Replacement for Inov-8 315

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Replacement for Inov-8 315

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Will Webster

@willweb

I've gone through a few pairs of Inov-8 315s over the last several years; they just feel right. Also have a pair of 345 GTXs for snow and a 295 for when better grip outweighs sole life, but they don't get used nearly as much. I bought a couple extra pairs of 315s a couple years ago but they're about worn out so I need new ones. It appears that Inov-8 has made some significant changes to the shoe, and not for the better. Unfortunately nobody near me stocks them so I have to order online. So my question: Have any lovers of the 315 found a good substitute? I should mention that I don't run; they are for dayhiking and light to ultralight backpacking.

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

I loved my old 315's, but have moved more minimalist over time. I really like the La Sportiva Anakonda for a tougher shoe, and the Inov-8 235 or 245 for summer hiking.

Nathaniel Kerns
    Spectator

@callmeishmael

I've never worn the 315s but I sure love my 245s for summer hiking. So light and breathable, drains water immediately, durable (I get about 500mi/pair). Great traction on dry trails, talus, scree, wet muddy trails. Pretty bad traction on anything slippery or slimy like algae-covered rocks, old wet logs and the like. The rubber is a bit on the hard side, supposedly the middle part right under the arch is a softer rubber but they're still pretty scary on anything inherently slippery/slidey, and they don't smear well at all if you're using them as an approach shoe.

The size is spot-on and the toebox is pretty generous, (for what they are), mid-foot runs a little on the narrow side of normal and the heel is a nice firm cup. If you're running/walking short distances get your normal size. For long distances size up a full size and you're good.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Inov-8 just introduced the Race Ultra 290 this spring. Designed for the long distance runner, with an 8mm drop and generous insole, it's built up more than the TrailRoc line. I'm still PO'd that they ruined the RocLite 295 but this might just be a decent replacement.

I've only read one review so far, and shoefitr has yet to measure the shoe, so I don't know how it will fit compared with the old generation RocLite 295 or the TrailRoc 245. Once I figure that out I figure I will give it a go.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Stuart,

I just ordered the 290s and am looking forward to trying them out. I've been using la sportiva c-lites for awhile now, but they have really left me wanting for a wider toe box. Hopefully the 290s do the trick!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools