Topic

Glacier Nat’l Park: Need help with Northern Traverse Shuttle — two open camper slots!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Glacier Nat’l Park: Need help with Northern Traverse Shuttle — two open camper slots!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I was very lucky this year and scored the Northern Traverse Route as follows:

ENTER (TRAILHEAD) – CHIEF MOUNTAIN
    .      8-7-2014 – GLF – GLENNS LAKE, FT
    .      8-8-2014 – MOJ – MOKOWANIS JCT
    .      8-9-2014 – WAT – WATERTON RIVER
    .      8-10-2014 – BRO – BROWN PASS
    .      8-11-2014 – BOW – BOWMAN LK, HD
    EXIT (TRAILHEAD) – BOWMAN LAKE FOOT (AKAK,BOW,QU)

My problem is that I have a rental car, but need a way to get from one end of the hike to the other…. The shuttles dont run on the west side and shuttles to the east run quite late. What i'd really like to do is drop the vehicle at Bowman Lk and get a ride to Chief Mountain. But…. I am flexible.

All that said, I do have one option for those interested in going along… I have two "open seats" for the hike. I have a permit for four campers, but just two of us are going. I would be happy to have two others join in on the hike and we could preposition one rental car at Bowman and ride to Chief Mountain in the other vehicle. After the hike, we would go pick up the vehicle at Chief Mountain. You get to hike one of the greatest routes on the planet and I solve my shuttle dilemma. And…. I wouldnt even expect you to hike with us… Go your own pace and do what you want.

Any thoughhts? takers?

Appreciate the assistance in advance!

Rabbit

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

Hitch hike. It is legal in Montana and super common around GNP. It should not be that hard to hitch from Bowman Lake to Polebridge if you get there early enough, as people pack up camp and head home. If you're worried about hitching, be reassured as the people you meet at Bowman Lake will be campers interested in enjoying nature, not crazy murderous psychopaths. Buy your ride some of the delicious pastries as a gift.

It would be very easy to get from Polebridge to West Glacier if for some reason your ride couldn't get you all the way back. From there, you can catch the free shuttles all the way to St. Mary's. Getting up to Chief Mountain customs via hitching will be a bit harder, but manageable. I hitched from West Glacier up to Kintla Lake with a giant colorful posterboard I made, and it took maybe 3 hours. If you don't feel comfortable hitching up to Chief Mountain, you can catch the Glacier Park, Inc shuttle from St. Mary (http://www.glacierparkinc.com/tour_detail.php)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Adam, appreciate the response. Question… do you think it would be better to leave the car at Chief Mtn and hitch a ride back to it, or leave it at the end and hitch up to Chief Mtn? Here's my quandary…

….if I hitch a ride to Chief Mtn (leaving vehicle at Bowman), I'd have to take the GPI shuttle from St. Mary up. That puts me at the trailhead around 3pm. Kinda late for my 10 mile hike from Chief Mtn. Customs to the BC campsite. And, if I arrive the night before, I don't think there's anywhere nearby to camp.

I sure wish there was an east side shuttle or company that did these shuttles….

Thanks again for the advice!

Rabbit

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

I don't have information on your specific situation but in general I find it better to park at the end point of a trip, hitch to the beginning. The last thing you want to have to do at the end of a long trip is to try and get a ride!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools