Topic

Baking Soda

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Baking Soda

• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Craig.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Welcome, Regis, to BPL.

Depending on the quantities you carry, I’ve found diabetic test-strip canisters excellent for that.  Similar in size to the old 35mm film canisters we used to use for everything, just a bit slimmer, but with an easy flip-top and a little gasket around the rim to make it moderately water / humidity proof.  They’ll be ideal for 2 tablespoons of salt or baking soda (label the outside!) or 30-50 pills.  I once happened on a few score of them at the recycling center, but if anyone is out to you as diabetic. . . .

Anonymous
    Inactive

That would be a good size.  It wouldn’t take much of either substance to last a while.

Pills.  Yes.  I’m at that point in life where pills are a daily routine.  sigh.

Thanks for the tip.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

For smaller quantities of one-time use things, like spices for a particular meal, you can heat seal the ends of a polyethylene drinking straw for sturdy, water-proof transport.

Then there’s the whole ethical dilemma of swiping those little snap-open salt and pepper packets from McDonalds.

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

Finding plastic straws today in 2022 is a challenge!  Ive recently run out my stash and realised the anti-plastic purge has replaced these with paper or metal.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Lots of polypropylene straws still available on Amazon, which continues delivering to locations where thin hollow tubes of plastic are not welcome.

Like these, with a shape optimized for baking soda storage on backpacking trips:

Individually wrapped to maximize wasteful consumption.

— Rex :-)

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

Thankyou!

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools