Topic

Lighweight summer bag/quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lighweight summer bag/quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jim Rivers

@saucyjack

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Trying to put together a lightweight and packable sleep system.

Main use will be bikepacking/racing in and around the South during late spring,summer and fall.
    I have a Hexamid Solo which I like.I tried a Marmot 40 degree down bag recently and it was still a a little warm for me.

Packability and volume is a huge issue for Bikepacking.Bag space is at a premium.

I guess I'm looking at a 50 degree down quilt/bag but wondering if there is anything else out there cheaper?

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

$175 for an EE Rev 50* bag is pretty darn good for what you get.
    You get high quality fabric and the ability to fully unzip and just lay it over you.

You may be able to find a used one here?

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Jim,

I also sent you a PM for another option.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My wife will be walking the Camino de Santiago route across Spain this summer, and I'm looking for a summer sleeping bag for her. So far the Sea to Summit Traveller TRL bag(50F/10C) looks promising, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet and if there are other, better ideas out there I'm interested in hearing about them.

Peter Boysen
    BPL Member

@peterboysen

I work for Enlightened Equipment, so there's that disclaimer, but I will just mention that we've had a lot of bikepackers picking up our quilts this year (which is kind of fun, since I hadn't even heard the term "bikepacking" until this year). A 50° quilt from almost anybody will pack super small though.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

It's tough to beat a tiny 50 degree quilt for your purposes. EE and HammockGear are two folks that do a fine job of these. I have a 50 degree summer quilt from one of these companies, and a 40 degree shoulder season (southeast) quilt from the other and love 'em both.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

Rei carries 55 degree travel/hostel bags. The synthetic one is very inexpensive. The down one much nicer,and still priced very reasonable ($50-65 if I recall correctly).
    Both have a big following as summer bags with the backpacking and river guides operating in the northern virginia area. Both can be zipped open to use as a quilt when it's hot, or used as a bag when it's chillier.

Ps: I'm sure the backpacking quilts are much nicer and pack smaller – but you asked about less expensive options. And packed size probably isn't a big deal. The down one is about the size of a nalgene even though it's a full bag.

Jim Rivers

@saucyjack

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Anyone used the silk or coolmax liner bags as standlone summer solution?
    Worried it might not be enough to do much

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Sounds like a 50 quilt will be perfect for you. At those temp ratings the difference between down and synthetic is not that great so you might also consider an apex filled one from EE for example. Although, if you are really strapped for space while on your bike I guess the down is still that last bit smaller and lighter.

I don't think a liner will add that much warmth, but it might make sleep better, (I know I like sheets even if it is blazing hot in the night). I'm now considering just a bug bivy or bug inner, with my clothes – perhaps bring a puffy jacket for when it does cool down. But I'm talking about 15~20ËšC (60~70F).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools