Topic

4 ingredients or less lazy freezer bag cooking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition 4 ingredients or less lazy freezer bag cooking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"pizza-pot"

Damn you, Sarah. Now you've gone and flung another food craving on me.

I've just undergone months of therapy to get past the Cran-Mac recipe.

–B.G.–

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Cool, going to order some Old Wisconsin turkey sticks to try. Haven't seen it in any stores around here….

Btw I just tried peanut butter in oriental flavored ramen!!! Awesome!!
    Wife thought it was disgusting….but I chomped it all down and loved every last bite.
    Definitely bringing that on my next trip, maybe with dehydrated chicken added, and maybe one of those pizza chili pepper packets….

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Christopher, if you ever get out to the wilderness known as Silicon Valley, you can find Old Wisconsin, but it is hit or miss. I never see it in mainstream supermarkets, but I do see it in stores such as Big Lots, Target, Walmart, etc.

–B.G.–

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

I actually live in south San Jose, so I'll look for it at target soon. Thanks Bob!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The Cran-Mac bars are basically sugar crack ;-)

Rob Reynolds
    BPL Member

@rfreynol

On the subject of jerky, I find most commercial brands way to sweet so I usually order some from one of the many smaller speciality shops. Just hit google. That said, I recently discovered Dukes Meats out of Denver. Excellent jerky and beef sticks and I've been seeing it in more and more stores around the country when I travel for work. Website is Dukesmeats.com.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Instant Rice
    Coconut milk powder (from Packit Gourmet)
    A dash of chili powder
    Raisins, preferably golden

Roger Smith
    BPL Member

@thewoodrow

Good for an afternoon hike.

Archer farms Zen Party Trail Mix
    Chicken flavored Ramen
    Sriracha
    Crunchy peanut butter

Total heaven in a cup.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Wow!!
    Do you add hot water? Just eat it dry?

I love sriracha, but can't seem to find the huy fong brand in portable packets.

Roger Smith
    BPL Member

@thewoodrow

Sriracha in a gotoob is the best. Dried is good too. But dry it outside. Whew!

Put it all together in hot water. . The nuts keep the crunch alive. Different types of crackers soften at varying rates.

I'd never heard of anyone else putting peanut butter in ramen besides me. Works great. I have tried mixing sriracha and PB to save space. Don't.

I've never tried it dry. I'll do so tomorrow.

Mercedes Clemens
    BPL Member

@motorlegs

– Louisiana Purchase Jambalaya Rice Cup -or- Pinto Beans & Rice Cup ($14.01 for 12 on Amazon; I take the contents out of the cup)
    – Freeze dried sausage crumbles (Rancher's Cut)
    – Freeze dried scrambled egg (Rancher's Cut)
    – Dehydrated veggie/veggie mix of choice

Works for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Melanie Stephenson
    Spectator

@brittany

Locale: Northern PA

Hi! This is my first post.

Two of my favorite easy meals are:

Instant refried bean flakes+instant brown rice+taco seasonings+dried veggies. Rehydrate and eat in a tortilla with a packet of hot sauce

Or

Bean thread noodles with dried veggies plus a packet of peanut butter, a packet of soy sauce, and a couple of packet of siracha…it's not gourmet, but it is good.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Idahoan potatoes, bacon, chives, corn.

Add hot water- munch.

…and Secret Aardvark hot sauce, but y'all ain't privedged enough to have it near you…. Prolly not, anyway.

But one day, Pinky, one day Secret Aardvark will take over the world!

Narf!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington
    Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Damn!

I bet in a few years you'll be able to get babies and plastic surgery on amazon

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Your secret hot sauce is no longer secret : )

It seems like in the last few years, a lot more stuff has been availabile on amazon.com. Like you used to have to buy those cheap chinese 0.01 oz scales from ebay, but now you can get it from amazon.com also.

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Locale: New England

"My experience is that Knorr rice or pasta side dishes WON'T "cook" properly with FBC– they need actual boiling"

Ive had the same experience in the past. I dont use the rice sides anymore but Ive found that given adequate time in a cozy (20 minutes or so) the pasta sides will rehydrate well. As for consistency I just add a few spoonfuls of potato flakes. This thickens the mixture without changing the taste very much.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

No problems with the pasta sides. having enough hot water and a cozy.. let sit for 10-15min and you're golden. Better to have it come out a bit soupy rather than clumpy. Adding tuna pouches or my favorite.. French fried onions (after it is cooked so they are crunchy)

after a week on the trail you really will eat just about anything that isn't nailed down

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools