Topic

SEKI Fire restrictions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Thought I'd post this for people that may be going to SEKI in the near future, hopefully it will clear up any misconceptions on what stove you can or can not use.

Stage I

HIGH
    Wood and charcoal fires (including wood-burning stoves) are prohibited in South Fork campground.

All fires and stoves are allowed in all other campgrounds.
    Wood and charcoal fires (including wood-burning stoves) are prohibited in Hospital Rock and Ash Mountain picnic areas.

All fires and stoves are allowed in all other designated picnic areas. Wood and charcoal fires (including wood-burning stoves) are prohibited below 6,000 feet. Year-round elevation/site-specific wilderness fire restrictions also apply. Refer to the Minimum Impact Restrictions.

Gas, propane, alcohol (with and without a shutoff valve) and tablet/cube stoves are permitted.

No smoking below 6,000 feet, except within an enclosed vehicle, a building in which smoking is allowed, a campground or picnic area where wood and charcoal fires are allowed, or a designated smoking area.
    Stage 2

VERY HIGH
    Wood and charcoal fires (including wood-burning stoves) are prohibited in South Fork, Potwisha, and Buckeye Flat campgrounds.

Gas, propane, alcohol (with and without a shutoff valve) and tablet/cube stoves are permitted.
    Wood and charcoal fires (including wood-burning stoves) are prohibited in Hospital Rock and Ash Mountain picnic areas.

Stage 2 fire restrictions are the same as Stage 1. Stage 2 fire restrictions are the same as Stage 1.
    Stage 3

EXTREME
    Wood and charcoal fires (including wood-burning stoves) are prohibited at all elevations.

Wood and charcoal fires (including wood-burning stoves) are prohibited in all picnic areas.

Wood and charcoal fires (including wood-burning stoves) are prohibited at all elevations.

No smoking at any elevation except within an enclosed vehicle, a building in which smoking is allowed, or a designated smoking area.

Hope this helps someone else

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Can you provide an NPS published source for this? Link?

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California
    Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Locale: SoCal

I just returned from a car camping trip in the southern sierras this past weekend, transversing west to east, and I can tell you it is incredibly dry. Camp fires were allowed in designated camp sites but I feel that a ban on any wood fires should have already been put in place. Just farting is enough to spark a blaze.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools