Topic

Fall Arizona Trail through hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Fall Arizona Trail through hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Henrick
    Spectator

@hikerbox

Locale: Boston

I plan on heading Southbound on or around September 22nd, hopefully after monsoon season is over and the heat starts to die down. This will be the first of three big through hikes, at the end I'll head to New Zealand for the Te Araroa and then back to the states for the CDT. I also want to try and raise money for each trails trail association – if you'd like to help the fundraiser is here: https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/fmYf1?psid=b07870a21af146528a1fe83e80dade64&fb_ref=share__c3U9D9

Gear List:

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=19107

I'm thinking I can probably get away without the sleeping shirt but otherwise it seems pretty solid to me. The only uncertainty is whether the littlestar pitched low can shield me from rain enough to not need a bivy. I don't expect much in the way of bugs.

I've used the vireo + a heavier down jacket down below freezing before in a tarptent notch but not in the littlestar which is more ventilated. I have a light fleece and a light down jacket (hooded) so I'm hoping that will be a similar warmth.

Thoughts?

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Conditions will vary ENORMOUSLY on the AZT, and sometimes the changes will come very quickly (i.e., desert-to-9,000ft-altitude in one day).

By late September, monsoons will be long over (they end around the beginning of Sept.), and mosquitoes will be a non-issue. There will be tiny gnats, but most people aren't bothered by them (ok, some people get a small allergic reaction, but very few).

By going SOBO, you'll be hitting the high areas near Flagstaff before the real cold sets in, which is good.

You may get an occasional rain shower (snow at altitude), or you may have none. In general, you'll be hiking during the "dry season". Monsoons haven't started yet, so it's hard to say whether your water situation will be dicey or not.

Your likely enemies will be heat, intense sun, cold nights, and scarce water.

Mike Henrick
    Spectator

@hikerbox

Locale: Boston

Thanks Valerie – what do you think I should expect for low temperatures at night with reasonable campsite selection?

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

The trail passes through SO many different "life zones" that I can't really answer your question! In Arizona, traveling from 1,000ft elevation to 9,000ft elevation is called "Mexico to Canada". When you're between 7,000ft and 9,000ft — nighttime temps in Sept/Oct should be in the 30Fs. When you're between 5,000ft and 7,000ft, it should be in the 40Fs; and when you're down on the desert floor, it should be in the 50Fs (but it'll feel colder after being out in the hot sun all day). If a storm system comes through, it could be 10F or more colder…and if we get a heat wave, it could be 10F or so warmer…

I hate to be vague, but look at the elevation profile of the trail, and you'll understand. :^)

Ross Bale

@sgt-wilco

I would add a prefilter system, something to strain some of the debris out of your water before it hits your Sawyer.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Recommend us a prefilter system?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools