Topic

Hoka One backpacking?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hoka One backpacking?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Anyone use the Hoka One trail runners for backpacking… like 25 to 30 lb?
    Like? Not?

billy

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

I wear the Hoka Stinson bacpacking. The most I usually carry is about 22 lbs. While the shoe is heavily cushioned, the midsole is relatively stiff and rockered. I find them perfectly stable and my feet feel pretty good at the end of the day. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I like them a lot. I also run in the Conquests.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

I was looking at Hoka Stinson Evos, but they were too narrow for my feet so I ended up with Altra Olympus. Love the wide toe box and cushion, shoes never feel unstable. Only knock is the tread pattern. Not aggressive enough so I get a lot of slip on steep hillsides.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

I haven't worn the Hokas outside of REI shoe department, but the tread looks wimpy for backpacking needs. wonder if there is any other brand making similar with more aggressive trial treads? I would need a wide toe area.

billy

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Not sure rei carries the trail Hokas with more aggressive tread.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

I haven't seen any Hokas with what I would call and aggressive tread… not even on the Hoka web site that shows all there offerings and pics of the treads. Those tinny nubs they put on the trail models will surely rip right off with backpacking use.

billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Honda???? I don't understand. REI is selling cars now?

billy

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

"I haven't seen any Hokas with what I would call and aggressive tread… not even on the Hoka web site that shows all there offerings and pics of the treads. Those tinny nubs they put on the trail models will surely rip right off with backpacking use."

I was only able to check five or six models from Hoka here. I'm not sure they would be for me but I was on the edge of giving them a go. Not with that thread though.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

I have found both shoes to have more than enough tread. I have hiked all over the San Juan's, the CO Trail and much of the front range with no traction issues. Stinsons are showing some wear but about 400 miles on them.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

So I bought these and hiked them first time yesterday. About 5 miles on sometimes rocky trail…

Impressions:
    They are soooooo soft under foot that on the first uphill I noticed some sacrifice of upward thrust… a bit like hiking in sand… not deep sand, but a couple of inches of sand.

Downhills: Man… they are soooo soft and easy on the knees, hips, lower back.. like floating on feathers…

Rocks: I do not feel the rocks on the bottom of my feet like I do with some light weight hikers… very nice

Talus and slabs: when traversing on moderate steep rocks all the cushioning makes for some lateral creep and lack of control… a bit scary… they want to roll downhill and out from under you… I can see why some complain that you are more likely to turn an ankle in these shoes.

Overall, I love these trail runners for hiking. Very comfortable and easy on the feet. Good for trails that are not too rocky. I would not want to take them off trail on scree or talus.

Billy

Randy Cain
    BPL Member

@bagboy

Locale: Fresno, CA

I recently tried the Hoka Stinson ATRs. Some folks have been pessimistic about the tread, but that turned out to be a non-issue, at least for me in the High Sierra both on and off trail. The Hokas have a larger footprint, so that equates to more surface area for the tread to grip the ground, rocks, or whatever we’re on. And to me it makes them feel quite grippy. I hiked up to McGee Pass in the High Sierra a couple days ago. On the steep uphill, I noticed both heels rubbing, and I ended up taping visibly red hot spots. I’ve never had any shoes or boots rub my heels. When I reached the pass, I headed off-trail across a somewhat steep scree slope to an incredible overlook into the Convict Creek drainage. The scree slope provided my first chance to see how the shoes performed when “side-hilling.” I noticed immediately a feeling that my foot was sliding around too much inside of the shoe when my foot was sideways on the steep incline. I stopped to lace up the shoes tighter, but that only slightly helped the situation. It felt like my foot was trying to slide off the thick pile of foam that the sole is comprised of. I never really noticed this while on the trail, so if you like to spend at least part of your time off-trail, it might be a deal-breaker as it was for me. Another thing I immediately noticed while side-hilling was that the shoe was poking me below my ankle bones, which a reviewer at Sage to Summit in Bishop, CA points out in his video of another Hoka shoe. As the day went on, this became really uncomfortable. Once back down to McGee Pass, I headed down the west side and eventually to more cross-country stuff and up to Red & White Lake at 11,600 just below Pace Col. At that point I decided to bail on what was supposed to be a 4 night/5 day trip. The condition of my feet was deteriorating, and I had a considerable amount of cross-country travel on my planned itinerary. So I started the long trip back out. I had to tape both heels and big toes, which I’ve never had to do with other shoes. The second toe on my left foot had a huge blister despite taping. The insole in the right shoe was starting to create a hotspot where it was rubbing the medial aspect of my arch. The tape job that I applied to both heels in combination with a Second Skin Square worked perfectly, so nothing further resulted there. The bottom side of my ankle bones were tender the entire trip out. I really wanted these shoes to work, but they turned out to be quite a nightmare. I don’t find many reviews about people using them for hiking, let alone off-trail applications on scree, talus, etc. So that’s why I wanted to share my experience. Maybe someday the Hoka concept will evolve into something that works well for me. I’ll keep my eye out, because I’d sure love a more cushioned hike. Good luck to everyone in finding a shoe that works well with your feet! ;)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools