Topic

Long Trail clothing in July

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Long Trail clothing in July

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I'm putting the last minute touches on our gear lists for a July end-to-end of the Long Trail. We've never hiked in the Far North — all our experience is in the Southeast. We are trying to figure out our clothing list.

Right now the temps along the ridgelines in VT are 70s during the day and high 40s to mid 50s at night. For those of you with summer experience in Vermont, is this pretty much what we can expect next month? I've read several journals, one hiker had a huge heat wave in August, another was hiking a different year in August and had heavy rain and temps in the 40s during the day….

I'll hike in nylon shorts and a very light merino short sleeve base layer, then have nylon long pants and a long sleeve base for camp and sleeping. (I sweat like a race horse, so having a dry shirt is required.) Instead of my Houdini, I'm bringing a long sleeved nylon fishing shirt, which I can wear while traveling to Vermont by train. (Otherwise I look too much like a homeless person.)

I'm fairly certain that I will take my UL down parka, as it's also part of my very light sleeping system, but I am undecided about a Capilene 4 pullover — it's only 7 ounces and is quite warm for that weight, but it's not something I would normally carry around here in the summer. But if it gets down into the 40s, then it's very nice to wear for a couple of hours while hiking in the morning.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I had a thin rain/wind jacket, mid weight smartwool sweater and light long sleeve merino shirt as my insulating clothing for end of July LT thru.

I'd say a pair of Arm warmers (mine are 2oz pearl izumi) would be more convenient and lighter than the Cap4 shirt. you already have many long sleeves. Heck i might take the Cap4 (that is the heavier weight kind right?) instead of the down parka.. if it is wet the Capilene will be better off.

http://jakedatc.wordpress.com/2012/08/15/lt-gear-list/ (also has my journal)

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

July in VT? One word: Mosquitoes!!!!!! (I think the blackflies will be almost gone, so at least there's that…)

And yeah, weather in VT, NH, and NENY is only "predictable" for being unpredictable! It could be hot and humid, or it could be cold and rainy… You might want to check the Farmer's Almanac for an overview before you leave, but I wouldn't expect great accuracy. We usually just bring stuff for all conditions, because with a trip of any length, you'll probably get all of them, LOL.

Did I mention mosquitoes?

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Locale: New England

There will definitely be Mosquitos. I treat my clothes with Permethrin and they leave me alone. I would plan for temps into the 90s with high humidity. Be sure to bring rain gear as it can get pretty wet. You should be able to find space in a lean-to or cabin almost every night which can help with the cool nights.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Bugs depend on what end of july. I saw 1 mosquito in 17 days on the trail, but i started July 22nd. I was also in a drought year which helped.

agree.. above LT Inn the shelters are pretty empty. I used my tent 3 times and didn't really need to.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Mosquitos! 90 degree temperatures! Humidity! Wow, you guys are really selling me on this trail! Thanks!

For this I could hike in North Carolina in July. Sheesh. :)

I'll nix the Cap 4 and just wear my down jacket in camp when it's cold. It's a Western Mountaineering Hooded Flash jacket, and it combines with my 17 ounce quilt as part of my sleep system — quite useful if the temps dip into the 40s. Not too bad at <12 ounces. Other than that I think we're fine.

You bet we're bringing rain gear, and I will treat all our clothing with Permethrin, which has really helped around here too.

Planning on lean-tos in the northern parts, though we'll pitch our tent if there's a platform or spot available nearby. Bringing our new Zpacks Hexamid Twin; at 23 ounces with stakes and guy lines an easy decision to carry it.

Thanks for the help.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

ha.. bet you those shelters will look like taj mahal at the end of a long day. tossing your sleeping pad and quilt down is way too easy to pass up. especially the ones with 4 walls. last 4 days i left my Contrail at my friends house :)

LT
    jay camp

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Hey…don't let us discourage you…It's a gorgeous trail, and you'll have a great time. We're just trying to help you have the BEST time by warning you about a few things so you can prepare for them in advance!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools