Topic

Another JMT List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Another JMT List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Adam Sloan
    BPL Member

@duelle

Locale: Great Lakes

http://lighterpack.com/r/5elf4n

I start July 27. Looking for any suggestions on replacing things or possibly things I've forgotten.

Some explanations:
    Gossamer Gear 1/8" pad: I heard bear canisters can rub holes in the Arc Blast, so I'm going to wrap this around my canister and it will also double as my sit pad and extra insulation at night.

Smartwool 195 base layer top:
    I have a lighter 150 weight top, but I don't know if it will be warm enough and it has no zipper.

Sockwa X8:
    I hike barefoot and I'm bringing these just in case.

Terramar Liner socks:
    So my dirty feet don't touch my quilt

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Given that your bag is minimal for the JMT, I would seriously consider getting an 8 oz UL hooded down jacket. I think it would give you a bit more comfort margin. I love (synthetic) vests for hiking insulation, but a much more efficient use of the given weight of down would be such a jacket. The thing about the sierra is that at altitude and low humidity the temperature can really plummet when the sun goes down. If you are tired and drained (as you will be at times) you will find you need a lot more insulation to keep warm than maybe you would ordinarily expect. Also sleeping well makes a big difference on a longish trip.

Marmot Essence rain pants are 6 oz (on my modded ones 5). Since you have a poncho, the number one use of these will probably be as wind pants. I'm actually using these (and a zpacks poncho groundsheet) this summer.

Basically its a pretty good list.

One issue with the 1/8 pad is that picks up and holds stuff from the ground, so use as a sit pad may not work out so great. Better a piece of a ridge rest. You might be able to work out some other protection for the bag by using clothes, or do what other have done and reinforce the cuben on the inside of the pack near the cross-bar with duct tape or tenacious tape.

I will be getting on the JMT this year probably around the time you are leaving it.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Marmot Essence rain pants are 6 oz (on my modded ones 5)"

There are wind/rain pants for about half that weight. Mine weigh 2.45 ounces.

–B.G.–

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

"There are wind/rain pants for about half that weight."

LOL, there always are. Are they breathable as well? I have wind pants of that weight, like my old Montaine ones, but they are not waterproof. Anyway, I'm pushing it with the material since I'm already very afraid I am going to split them when I accidentally sit on a pine cone, or something.

Adam Sloan
    BPL Member

@duelle

I don't really care if they're breathable or not. I generally don't wear rain pants unless it's cold as well as raining, so breathability is not a big issue. The Luke's Ultralite Pertex ones are somewhat breathable. Nothing fantastic, but way better than silnylon.

I think I'll just order them now.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I've often reported on these. Thru-Hiker's Liberty Ridge pants kit can be sewn with a variety of fabrics. The ones that I sewed are about 50% waterproof and about 50% breathable, and I find that to be a perfect compromise.

If you split them, that is more likely to be from a fit issue.

–B.G.–

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Bob, what does %50 waterproof mean? LOL

YouTube video

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

No need for the polycro to protect your tent, just spend 30 seconds moving any sharp rocks away from your tent site. However, it is nice to have if you are going to cowboy camp.

I agree with Marko that I'd rather have a down parka than a vest.

I am sure you have evaluated it for yourself, but the JMT would be tough to hike barefoot. Many miles of golf ball gravel, sharp talus, and trails turned over by horses. At least this year you may not have to walk over much, if any, snow.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I don't know. The pants are fairly good for waterproofness, and they are fairly good for breathability. I won't claim that they are 100% perfect for each, which would be like the Holy Grail.

For the way that I generate warmth in my legs, it seems like a good compromise.

–B.G.–

Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Locale: Boulder, CO

Hiking barefoot? That seems.. unsafe. Shame about the Duplex weight.. I was considering one myself, might stick to the Cuben Duomid and net.

Adam Sloan
    BPL Member

@duelle

That's why I've got my backup shoes. I've been in the Colorado Rockies and had no issues. The only thing that really bothers me is when the ground is hot enough to burn my feet, but you can build up a tolerance to heat. It's just hard to do where I'm from.

Adam Sloan
    BPL Member

@duelle

Turns out my Duplex still had quite a bit of moisture stuck in it. After drying off completely it came in at 566g in the stuff sack, which is pretty much perfect considering the micro linelocs and guylines on top of the weight of the tent itself.

Also, revised the list a bit: http://lighterpack.com/r/5elf4n

afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

Locale: Central Sierra Nevada's

Your list and mine are nearly identical in every facet and item. My Base weight is just a touch lighter than your at 11.34 pounds but I don't have a camera…just using my phone.

I strongly agree and second the use of a down hooded parka or sans hood down parka. I used a 20 degree Nunatak quilt last year and roasted many nights but one night was happy to have it when it was in the mid to high 20's.

This year I went with an EE enigma pro 30 degree and am bringing along my ghost whisperer hooded jacket to push the quilt a bit lower if needed.

Have a great trip. I leave from Sonora Pass to Whitney Aug 2.

Adam Sloan
    BPL Member

@duelle

I'm a pretty warm sleeper and I'm going to be under my quilt when it's cold anyway. I'll be testing the vest for at least a week before I start the JMT. If I have any doubts about my ability to stay warm I'll take my big puffy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools