Topic

I need Fall!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning I need Fall!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Time would be first week in October. Must haves: crunchy fragrant leaves, frequent water (I have been living in TX, my friend lives in NE AZ on a Hopi reservation – this is what we each desperately need/want for our fall trip). Dog friendly would be preferred.

I would like to find a 30-40 mile hike somewhere -anywhere!- in the country that would meet these requirements. How is that for vague????

Let me have it!!!

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I hear ya, Jen!!!!

Anywhere in New England would be fabulous at that time (early October is usually the height of "leaf peeping" season). I'm thinking particularly of the Adirondacks (upstate eastern NY state), the Green Mountains (VT), or the White Mountains (NH).

And actually, if you want some driveable options — try around Flagstaff, AZ or in the Gila Wilderness in New Mexico. In both cases, you'll find all of your requirements.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I'll ditto what Valerie said. Just about anywhere in New England and upstate NY is fairly close to heaven on earth in the fall as far as I'm concerned. It seemed that NY's and Pennsylvania's trees were on a slightly different schedule than New England, at least that was the case when I lived in NY.

As a grunt who could spend his work week in the field with a 75+ lb ruck on his back, I didn't do a lot of backpacking in my free time. The few trips I made out to the Adirondacks were wonderful so that's one area worth researching.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

The Trinity Alps are perfect in the fall. They are a lot like the sierras, but at a lower elevation so you get an extended fair weather hiking season.
    You could fly into Redding and rent a car.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Jen,

I was in the Adirondacks a few weeks ago for the first time and absolutely loved it.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Ah – just thinking of all these places makes me smile! Thanks everyone!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Ozark Highlands Trail? That night be more autumnal in the 2nd half of October though.

OH, I forgot my own "backyard" … Superior Hiking Trail! 300 miles, trailheads every 5-10 miles, campsites every 5 miles (mostly), a shuttle service that runs into mid October, early Oct is peak fall color season most years, as wet as this year has been it could be a great year for fall fungi, Lake Superior views, scenic inland views, great rivers and … the guy who routed most of the trail never met a hill he didn't like … much to the hiker's scenic benefit:-)

Tony Campana
    BPL Member

@velodadi

Locale: Lowcountry Carolina

Jim,

Wow! That sounds great. Would you have a link to more info about the Superior Hiking Trail?

Thanks.

Tony

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

more info about the Superior Hiking Trail?

You bet!

I should have mentioned waterfalls and spectacular canyons where rivers descend to Lake Superior as well as moose, wolves, coyotes and bears in my initial post.

The SHT has an excellent Trail Assn … website here You'll find brief descriptions and basic maps of trail segments as well as lists of services, current trail conditions, photo galleries etc.

There is also a great trail guide that can be purchased thru the website's on-line store as well as a set of 6 pocket maps and other paraphernalia.

Lastly, there is a yahoo email group named hiker that welcomes questions/comments etc related to the SHT as well as MN and WI portions of the North Country Trail.

Tony Campana
    BPL Member

@velodadi

Locale: Lowcountry Carolina

Thanks for the info!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools