Topic

Partial High Sierra Camps loop 6/14/14

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Partial High Sierra Camps loop 6/14/14

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

I started at the Tuolumne Meadows permit office and ran/hiked a nice 34 mile loop, passing Vogelsang and Lake Merced High Sierra Camps, then turned right at the Junction for Sunrise HSC, passing Cathedral peak, Mathes Crest and the cathedral lakes on the JMT. I stayed on the JMT for the short stretch through the meadows to Lembert Dome and back to the Permit office. Total distance 34.1 miles, elevation 6000' up and down, time 10 hours 50 minutes, average 3.1 mph. Trail conditions were overall very good. There was quite a bit of snow going past Vogelsang and I did lose the trail for a while but found it again near the pass. The section between lake Merced and the sunrise junction had LOTS of downed trees which made for slower going, climbing over and/or around them. This section could really use some trail work, hopefully NPS has the budget for it this year.

Bugs were out but mostly not an issue as long as I kept moving. They did attack in force at some of the water sources especially at lower elevation. I forgot the bug spray but it was really only a big deal at my last fillup near the sunrise junction, where I really got attacked. One of the pictures shows a dead one on my nose that I didn't notice till I looked at the pictures. :)

here are a few pictures i took with my phone along the way…

3a

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks for sharing! There were almost no bugs for me in Tuolumne that weekend, but I was above 10,000' most of the time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great pics, Allen, and from an iPhone yet. That was quite a hike. Well done!

Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

Just got back from Tuolumne again – family trip with day hikes to Clouds Rest and May lake. More bugs this weekend but mainly near water. Didn't seem to be any at the campground or at higher elevations but lots near the lakes and streams. Bug spray and/or full protective clothing highly recommended. Temps were cool but not cold…really nice conditions aside from the bugs. No snow on clouds rest.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Allen,

Awesome, awesome day hike! Thanks for sharing!

PM me if you're ever looking for company on an adventure like this. 34 miles is on the upper end of my range, and 3 mph is pretty close to the redline on my long-distance speedometer–but I'm always eager to push the envelope.

(edit: I'm also in the bay area)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools