Topic

First MYOG project

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear First MYOG project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chase Fairly

@chasefairly

Locale: Texas

Hey guys, in a couple weeks I'll be leaving on my first thru hike.

I already had a siltarp that I've been using for a couple summers but wanted to make a tarp after watching you guys' threads about all your awesome gear.

I decided to go with the Ray Way kit since I had no clue how to sew. I knew I would need some detailed instructions.
    Its huge, especially compared to my siltarp. I feel as if I could fit 3 if not a cramped 4 under the shelter.
    Final weight, seam sealed with guy lines: 16.7.

I was a little disappointed in the weight but I can't do anything about it now. I was hoping it would be a couple few oz lighter.

If I had close up photos you pro sewers would see all my mistakes but its super tough, just not that pretty.
    I now have great appreciation for all the work these take. Especially the cottage companies who are working their tales off to get them perfect. I can't imagine the precision it would take.
    Tarp Photo 1Tarp photo 2

THANKS FOR ALL THE INSPIRATION

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Way to tackle the intimidation, Chase!

Great looking tarp that you'll no doubt love on your thru. The beaks are way nice.

What trail are you going to hike?

Chase Fairly

@chasefairly

Locale: Texas

Thanks Todd

A friend and I are starting the Colorado Trail on July 14th, we're super stoked!

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Looks good! Although the weight is more than you would like, I bet you'll enjoy all that coverage when a nasty storm strikes.

Ryan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools