Topic

Help with SketchUp plugins

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help with SketchUp plugins

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Hi everyone,

I've been playing with Sketchup 2014 the last few weeks and it's pretty cool. However, for whatever reason I can't figure out plugins. For example, downloaded Flattery recently, but I can't find the plugins folder so that I can paste Flattery's information in there. Where the heck is it!?!?!

Keep in mind, I'm not computer savvy in the least so I'm sure it's easy for most. Can anyone help?

Ryan

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Hi Ryan,
    Haven't opened SU for awhile (or downloaded 2014)–been trying to migrate to Rhino. IIRC, SketchUp changed the way they do plugins a bit with one of the last releases. I'll play with it this evening and see if I can help.

Do you run Windows or Mac?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Hi David,

That would be terrific. Your 2012 Sketchup article is what made me finally give SketchUp a try. I run Windows.

Ryan

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Hi Ryan,
    Glad you found the article useful. I've just looked at the version of SU I'm running (2013) and noticed I never bothered to install any of the plugins I was running on SU 8 (inc. Flattery). Likely this is because the new "Extension Warehouse" makes this a little difficult. Also, as I mentioned, I've been trying to force myself to learn Rhino, as that's the direction my design students are moving in.

So… I found this topic on the help forum which may help: http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000029

Title is "Migrating Plugins, Materials, and Components from previous versions" and discusses plugin compatibility with the new version.

As an alternative to Flattery, you might try Flatten Faces, which is in the Extension Warehouse (basically, the SU-approved plugin library). In SU, Window>Extension Warehouse, then type "Flatten Faces" into the search window. Disclaimer: I haven't tried Flatten Faces, but it looks like it will do more or less the same thing as Flattery.

I mostly use a Mac, but have Windows machines at work that run SU–I'll check tomorrow and see if I can find where the plugin files live.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Thanks David! The Flatten Faces plugin seems to work pretty well. It does split apart the object and lay all the panels flat. Thanks for your help. Now I need to figure out how to print this thing out into a pattern somehow…

Ryan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools