Topic

Selway Crags Access Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Selway Crags Access Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Thinking about going to the Selway Crags late summer/early fall. Looking at the info here:

http://www.summitpost.org/selway-crags/501574

It looks like Big Fog Road (Forest Service Rd. 319) will be the best access to trailhead, with 'high clearance' vehicle (4WD?) recommended.

I have a 2002 Suburu Forester. Can anyone who's taken the road to the trailhead tell me if this will be enough? Of course, any other info would be great, too, esp. regarding cross-country hiking opportunities in the crags.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Any knowledge about this trailhead?

J Phillips
    BPL Member

@backcountry9

Locale: Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park

Hi David-

I'm sorry I don't have anything to offer- I'm heading for the same area in about a month and came looking for information on 1-2 week itinerary suggestions for Selway Bitteroot River of No Return area. I'm just kicking into major research mode and will keep my eyes peeled for information and relay things I find that seem like they might help. After that, I wouldn't call a Subaru "high clearance"… but you're doing the right thing as the condition of the road will ultimately determine suitability. You might try searching for a 4WD club in the vicinity and contacting them? Maybe try to track down Forest Service maintenance guys who would have a reason to periodically get there?

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Thanks, J.

There was a trip report from a few years ago on here that made the road sound kind of hairy. Supposedly, my Forester has 7.5" ground clearance: just under the 8" Forest Service considers minimum for 'High Clearance' roads.

OTOH, as of about a week ago, the FS was reporting Fog Mountain Road as both open *and* recently resurfaced, with culvert installed. So I should prob. just take a day to drive up and see if it's passible.

J Phillips
    BPL Member

@backcountry9

Locale: Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park

I didn't realize that the Suby had that much clearance. In the past, I have gotten away with taking 2WD vehicles with much less clearance into some pretty nasty places in the past (sometimes to the detriment of the vehicle) and up to a point, being willing to take a lot of time will substitute for vehicle capability. But, past that point is a "no-go" situation…. and you've already given the best answer of go invest some time and explore it (unless somebody pops in who has been there recently). I'll keep looking (and thanks again for the links on the other thread!!!!)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools