Topic

New guy introduction

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

Hello,

I just joined and wanted to make a quick introduction. My home range is Cascadia (Seattle) and I've practiced UL backpacking for about 1000 miles now with some 3-400 pre UL horror miles previous to that.

Finally had to break down and subscribe after seeing all the tantalizing discussion topics and after reading some very excellent gear and technique ideas from many of you. I look forward to more!

Our season here will start soon in earnest when more snow melts out and I'm getting antsy.

Cheers!

Cascadicus

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Glad to have you here. We've all got several of those horror stories, and often a thread comes up where everyone relives them. Good stuff

Ryan

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Welcome Alexander. Ken T. will be handing out name tags for you to fill out and stick on your chest.

JJ Willcoxon
    Spectator

@h2oboy

Locale: Midwest

Hello and welcome to a place that slightly eases the pain of waiting for one's available vacation days to replenish themselves.

Fair warning though. Spending time here will likely result in you chasing the perfect lightweight kit and with that quest comes many impulsive purchases and a much lighter wallet.

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

"Fair warning though. Spending time here will likely result in you chasing the perfect lightweight kit and with that quest comes many impulsive purchases and a much lighter wallet".

Yup. Already bought a 1 oz knife (since mine is an unbearable 2.3 oz) since I've been on here and I'm circling the Zebralight H52 like a shark.

*Sigh..*

JJ Willcoxon
    Spectator

@h2oboy

Locale: Midwest

It's the big 3 that will get you. Repeat after me…

"I do not need a new tent"

"I do not need another backpack"

"My sleeping bag is perfect just the way it is"

LOL

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

Lol

Too late already for this season!

1. New Mountainsmith Haze 50 (love it!) from my old Gregory Z pack

2. New SixMoon Luna Solo since my BD BetaLight was too big for one person.

2. Keep wanting to downgrade my Marmot Helium to an Atom since it's actually kind of warm for summer and an extra pound. Haven't done it yet, so there's hope yet.

My Helium is perfect just the way it is
    My Helium is perfect just the way it is
    My Helium is perfect just the way it is even with that extra pound…and getting old….

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

A really long hike will cure you of this gear acquisition thing though. After a while, gear is just gear. What's more fun is figuring out how to make gear out of trash.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Alex m' lad,
    Listen not to the din of anti new gear naysayers.

Go forth and purchase what thou doest desire but only after much research, testing and lusting after the item(s).

"New Item Worship" is sooooo satisfying. ;o)

When the newness wears off then you can begin modifying your gear to make it like YOU want it.

Or you can just stop buying new gear. I've done it hundreds of times.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools