Topic

Bob Marshall (early August)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bob Marshall (early August)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

I'm hoping to connect with people who are interested in a 3-4 day walk through the Bob early this August. I love to packraft and fish and I have a decked Yukon and some experience, but I assume the water flow will be too low in August – but if anyone wants to incorporate packrafting into a walk, I’d love that. Maybe something like Benchmark to White River Pass and then float the White River to South Fork and on up?

At this point, since I’m planning a solo trip, but would love to hike with others, I’m thinking about something along the lines of the following, which I’ve done before (although instead of walking east of the North Wall I dropped down Switchback Pass to Pentagon Creek and then on to Spotted Bear Pass and down to the White River) and loved it. I average 25 to 30 or so miles per day on trail, but I'm open to another pace.

Day 1: Morrison Creek TH to Schafer, Dolly Varden Creek to Trilobite Lake and then to Dean Lake.
    Day 2: Head by Lake Levale, walk the North Wall to Red Shale Creek and then to Spotted Bear Pass and My Lake.
    Day 3: Brushy Park down the White River to the confluence of the White River and South Fork and then on to Salmon Fork. (interested also in alternate route over Pagoda Mtn)
    Day 4: From Salmon Lake to Holland Lake

Anyone interested in an early August – 4 day walk through the Bob?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The South Fork should be a go to float below the White in early August. The White itself will probably be too low.

From Juliet Creek below Larch Hill Pass it's pretty simple to XC up below the Wall Creek ridge and contour around the south side of Silvertip on tundra and a bit of talus. I've not done it, but it looks like it'd be fairly simple to follow the ridge south to Pagoda and the trail.

My schedule in August is pretty full, unfortunately.

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

Dave, thanks for the advice on the White and Pagoda – I appreciate it

Do you have any favorite routes through the Bob that I should consider?

By the way, I've read through your C of the C packrafting guide a few times now. Thanks for making it available. good stuff

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Thanks Gabe.

The traverse of the top of the Chinese Wall (from Larch to Haystack) I did last summer is right at the top of the list, of hikes anywhere. Being able to float the White the same day makes it pretty much unbeatable. I've only been up there once, but water availability up there in August might be an issue. I bet you'd be able to find some, but you might have to hunt a bit.

I hoping to do the top of the north wall at the end of the month.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools