Topic

Hip Belt Rubbing the Top of My Hip Bone Raw

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hip Belt Rubbing the Top of My Hip Bone Raw

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Anyone else have this problem? I have the Osprey Exos 58, Zpacks Arc Blast, and the Gossamer Gear Mariposa. Around the fifth day, with reach pack, the top front of my hip bone is rubbed raw by the belt against my polyester shirt. It become a real pain and slows me down.

Soooo….has anyone looked into buying a much longer torso length pack to wear the belt below the top of the hip bone…resting on the top of your bum? I need to say that I currently wear by hip belt around my hip bones and obviously it extends above it too.

I need to keep the weight off my shoulders, and on my hips, because I broke my L5.

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

I used to have this problem with my old pack. Never was raw, just a sore and a little red.

However, with my Exos 58, it is super comfy. I don't see how this could happen with the soft hip belt. I guess it is all in the fit. Have you tried shoving a beanie down there or something? This worked for my daughter and her shoulder strap on top of her shoulder/ near her neck.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Since you've had the same problem with more than one pack, I'm wondering if it's something about your shirt material that proves abrasive on your skin…

Also, maybe a "dual-adjustment" type of hipbelt (like SMD Fusion or ULA Circuit) might help you "dial in" the right fit, without any slippage.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

If your torso length is too short, you might overtighten the belt trying to keep the weight off the shoulders.

When its a bit longer, with a good belt, I find it takes very little belt tension to keep it in placed.

Just my observations from past

My arc blast is very comfy.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Just an idea, but maybe Body Glide, or another of that ilk, might help. What about sewing extra layers of foam protection in the offending areas?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools