Topic

Feedback desired – JMT list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Feedback desired – JMT list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Eileen Duncan
    BPL Member

@eileensd

Locale: The Sierra or the SF Bay Area

http://lighterpack.com/r/6o7bgu

My pack/shelter/sleep is over 1/2 my total base weight! Interesting. A little surprising, but then not so surprising either.

I have a lot of odds and ends clothing-wise. Every item is used daily. I've stared and stared at the list and can't seem to bring myself to ax anything. :(

I'm considering the following:

1)Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo, which would cut 10 ounces
    2)Osprey Exos 46, which would cut ~16 ounces (would the Exos hold my Bearikade?)

Other suggestions are welcome!!

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

Looks to me to be a good list. Yes, you could save a pound with a lighter pack like the Gorilla and over a pound by using a Zpacks Hexamid but that would be a bit expensive. One recommendation would be to drop the silk liner. In my experience they are tangly and a single use piece of gear. They don't add much warmth to the mix and can be replaced by wearing some of your clothes to bed for warmth and to protect the quilt from body dirt. And, unless you plan on hiking in your "cheap ass" flip-flops, you left your footwear off the list. Also, you might want to consider getting something like Dirty Girl gaiters. They really help keep one's feet clean and gravel out of shoes. And, you might need something to hold extra food if you can't get it all in your Weekender at MTR. I put an Ursack in my MTR resupply together with with a hanging line. Have a great trip: if you are heading south in mid-July, I might see you on the trail.

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

I think the six moons is a good idea. You should check out this gossamer gear pack. you would save at least 21oz and your weekender will fit,I have one.
    http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/mariposa-ultralight-backpack-all-bundle.html

Eileen Duncan
    BPL Member

@eileensd

Thanks, Charles. Yes, I left my shoes off the list! Not sure what they weigh. Pretty light NorthFace trail runners. I do have some Dirty Girl gaiters but whenever I think of bringing them I end up deciding they are an unnecessary item. It would be nice to keep the trail grit out though…

I'll think about dropping the liner. Your point is well taken. The thing is, I'm a cold sleeper and was just warm enough and happy with the same gear while hiking the JMT during both of the last two July-Aug. I also slept in my long underwear bottoms/top. So, I'm nervous about leaving part of my sleeping system behind. I've read the liner adds 5-7* (?). Maybe I'll see if there's a lighter one out there, but at the time, this was about as light as I could find. You are right, it gets pretty tangled. Ugh!

The Weekender saw me through 7 days, from MTR – Whitney Portal, last year, so we're good there!

Yes, I'm headed out 7/15; however, this year I don't have time for the whole JMT so am starting southbound at Red's. Have a great hike and perhaps I'll see you!

Eileen Duncan
    BPL Member

@eileensd

Terry,

Re: the Gossamer Mariposa. My Osprey has a lot of structure to it and fits nearly like a dream. I once used a Gregory Zpack and had an awful experience with it. It was about 8 years ago so my memory is foggy, but I had to cinch it super tight and ended up doubled over with painful abdominal cramping (was definitely due to how I was wearing the pack – given the immediate relief once it was off – but might have also had to do with breakfast!). I'm guessing it was too heavy and that's why I had to cinch it down so much, but since then I've been wary of less structured packs. I see the Mariposa is supposed to be best under 30lb and okay to 35. True? How have you found the comfort/load carrying of the pack and hip belt? How heavy have you packed it? I'll be 25-27lb at most.

Thanks!

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Hi Eileen,

One question — how did you get your Ariel 65 down to 48 oz? The specs for the "small" are 76 oz, and the top pocket weighs about 8 oz, so it "should" (theoretically) weigh about 68 oz (maybe 65 if you trimmed some straps) without the top pocket… Where did the other 20 oz go?

I agree that there's not a whole lot of "fat" in your list. A few small things could be removed (but the weight savings are minimal):

* Sleep tank (you can wear your long underwear without it)
    * Flip flops (not necessary, but nice to have)
    * Silk liner (your quilt is an overstuffed 20F, so you should be ok without the liner)
    * Possibly combine cook pot and mug into ONE item that weighs less (Imusa mug, maybe?)
    * Different sleeping mat (but you need a good R-factor, and probably want some comfort)

I get cold very easily in the Sierras, too, so I wouldn't suggest cutting any of your layering pieces. Of course your camera stuff is heavy, but hey — it's the Sierras! Who doesn't want good photos? :^)

Eileen Duncan
    BPL Member

@eileensd

Valerie,

Good question about my pack. I've trimmed a lot. Plus, removing the lid allows for removal of a couple straps entirely (including the long ones that reach to the bottom of the pack). I haven't weighed my pack for a couple of years… I trust I did so correctly, but your research certainly suggests I should reweigh and confirm. Thanks :)

As far as those small items go, they are so "small" yet so appreciated, it's very hard to let go! What are we willing to compromise? If I want lighter, I've got to let go somewhere! Sleep tank goes on as soon as I get into camp and while washing clothes. I justify bringing it's so light and because it makes me feel fresh and clean and sometimes it's still too warm for long underwear. I'll think more about this.

Flip flops make life so easy… maybe I'll make a lighter alternative or leave them behind.

I'll look into the IMUSA. I like the looks of the insulated handle and chord pull on the lid. This would eliminate the "need" for the pot holder I usually bring. To save fuel, I do my "simmering" in a pot cozy – I guess I could cut a slit for the IMUSA's handle? No more coffee and breakfast together ;)

As explained in a previous reply (above), I'm reluctant to let go of the liner or change much about my sleeping system. I own 5 sleeping pads and feel like I've finally found the right combination (pad, quilt, liner). Thinking more and more about leaving the liner behind – can always put on my down jacket (?).

I know, the camera stuff is so heavy! Ugh.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Most do not include what they are wearing in their base weight. That is going to knock a big chunk out right there.

Eileen Duncan
    BPL Member

@eileensd

Ken,

Well, the 15.72lb is indeed actual base weight (i.e., carried on my back); so unfortunately, I don't get to knock off a big chunk in this case. If I included worn items, I'd be at 17.3lbs. I'd love my base weight to be closer to 14lb! Sigh…

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

Eileen,
    I have carried as much as 40lbs. with this pack and have transferred some of the weight to the shoulder straps when this happened on the PCT through the desert. I will have a full pack weight of 30lbs when i leave Muir Ranch. This will be the heaviest my pack will be for the entire JMT. By bending the stays to my back It made all the difference, carried really well. The waist belt at the weight you will be carrying should also work very well. I have put about 1500 miles on my pack in the last three seasons and never had a problem. It fits and carries perfectly for me.
    Hope you have a great trip!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools