Topic

Rocky Mtns

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Rocky Mtns

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Yes it's a huge area. Hubby wants to go there. Next week.

We are coming from Portland and have a week off, and want to backpack in at least a couple areas, 6-10 miles per day. Anyone have some recommendations, or know what is melted out?

Kelly

David Halterman
    Spectator

@poedog

Locale: Big Sur

Well, that is a rather broad question, but I can point you to the Weminuche Wilderness in SW Colorado. It's the largest wild area in the state and simply stunning. Highland Mary Lakes, The Window and Rio Grande Pyramid, or the popular (read: crowded) Chicago Basin. Lots of 14ers, high alpine meadows, pristine lakes, what more could you ask for? Maybe start by choosing a state?

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

We're flexible. So any state would be acceptable. Mostly concerned about being melted out. Now that we're close enough, I can investigate snow levels but first-hand knowledge is even better.

Kelly

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

David nailed it with the Weminuche. I did the CDT section through the Wilderness and spent a zero day at Highland Mary Lakes. It was amazing. Not sure about snow levels this time of year.

Jama Crawford
    Spectator

@jama

Locale: Western Slope

Snow fields are still common above 10,000 feet in Weminuche and San Juan Mountains, as of June 8, which would affect Highland Mary Lakes and other high elevation destinations. Most destination under 10,000 feet in SW Colorado will be fine with an occasional snow patch on north facing slopes. Stream crossings can be rough in some locations but that is tapering down already. I can only imagine there is more snow the further north you go, but have only heard that the Denver area has more snow that we do here in SW Colorado.

Highland Mary often doesn't clear out until the end of June or early July if you can postpone your trip a bit. It is lovely – but there are countless other lakes lesser known of equal beauty in this region. I can't come up with a bad trail!

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Wow Jama, might you have been the ranger I spoke to today? :) Almost word for word. Highest elevations are still snowed in and possible difficulties at some stream crossings, but lower areas are open. Unfortunately, we can't reschedule with our employers. Thank you all for your the Weminuche idea. Looks like this is where we are headed!

Kelly

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools