Topic

Paradox Unaweep

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Paradox Unaweep

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have not seen a Divide in person so I can’t comment on that.  I did try it vs the HMG Porter 4400 and Exped Lightning 60 and it was larger than both.

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

If you buy it with Paypal you can activate free return shipping through paypal. Then you can buy both (or 3), compare them in person and paypal will reimburse you the return shipping up to $25 or something I think.

I did that last year with an Arc Haul and the Divide and kept the Divide. I had bought a Mariposa a bit before that and shipped it back myself and it was $18 and that was a bad day [especially considering that I shipped 4 Exos back for free through Amazon Prime (comparing 38/48 and an inbetweener on torso sizes)].

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

A few questions for those who have the Unaweep.

1. The penalty for the 6,300 vs 4,800 is $30 and 3oz. Why would I not get the 6,300?
    2. There is no vertical zipper to access bag contents. Have you found this to be a pain in the neck?
    3. Have you found any bags/pouches that attach to the belt that work out well?
    4. I can’t sew. Can daisy chains and other mods be done by a local tailor/seamstress?
    5. Is the lumbar pad worth getting?
    Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

I work with SO and use the Unaweep a lot, so I’ll answer, maybe others will as well.

1.  A lot of backpackers don’t like extra space.  Small packs mean less gear taken essentially.  Personally I like to have plenty of room, easy to get everything in, faster to load.  Personal preference really.
    2. We’ve offered vertical side zips in the past, eliminating it on the Unaweep / Fortress / Divide because they can be made fully waterproof (expeditions in far north, packrafting, thru hikes).  I use the side zip when I have it, but honestly don’t miss it that much when I don’t.  Frequently used gear is in the Base Talon or hipbelt pockets.  I get into the main bag only to deal with large temp changes or to make camp.
    3. We offer hipbelt pockets.  The hipbelt has PALS loops, so any MOLLE spec pockets can be attached.  I know the zimmerbuilt pockets can be made to work as well.  Ours are well done IMO.
    4. We have some some daisy loops on the harness for gps, etc.  Other than that, where are you wanting daisy chains, and for what purpose?  If you’re strapping on external gear the Talon system can carry virtually anything.  Multiple gatekeeper straps can be combined, hooked into the same loop, etc.  The compression on the Unaweep is extremely versatile.
    5. It depends.  I like our belt better without it.  Some like it better with. Heavily muscled guys with large shoulders / upper backs, and anyone with a deep lumbar curve may benefit from the lumbar pad.  I’m pretty lean and relatively flat backed and don’t need it at all.
    BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Hi Nathan. Thank you for your thoughtful response.

#1 – I think I’d go the 6300ci unless a stampede of people said it was foolhearty. My McHale pack’s main bag is 48″ tall so I’m used to more rather than less.  Having said that my 8.6oz ZPacks Blast works brilliantly when I travel light and use that more than the McHale. The idea of the Unaweep (or other new pack) is to an answer for something between the two.

#2 – The lack of a zipper is something I’d have to work around. I’m used to reaching and quickly grabbing a fleece vest, a goretex jacket, or some other item when the weather quickly turns ugly.

#4 – The daisy chain would be used carry pouches for my GPS unit, inhaler (asthma), map and compass, camera, batteries, and other things like that which are only functional if within arms reach while hiking rather than while stopped.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

1. The penalty for the 6,300 vs 4,800 is $30 and 3oz. Why would I not get the 6,300?

I have the 4800 and it was perfect for an 11 day and 14 day trip in Alaska (both with a Bearikade Expedition).  If I was doing multi week packrafting trips (or packrafting trips of a week or more) I would spring for the 6300.  I have also used the 4800 for a week in WRR with a smaller bear canister and it was a little big, but not overly so.

1. There is no vertical zipper to access bag contents. Have you found this to be a pain in the neck?

I don’t have the size zipper option and wouldn’t want one.  Of course I haven’t used anything but a strictly top loader in 10 years so I am used to that.

1. Have you found any bags/pouches that attach to the belt that work out well?

I have an older belt that I have Zimmerbuilt pockets rigged to.  It isn’t perfect, but they work OK.  I also have a newer belt with the S.O. pockets.  I admit, that I didn’t think I would like the SO pockets as they looked to big and heavy.  While they are heavy (2.2oz each), I actually love them.  They are the easiest hipbelt pockets to use I have ever have.  They have a big zipper that can easily be opened with one hand.   They are big and roomy, but never got in the way.  They are very nice if you can handle the increase in weight over the Zimmerbuilt or Zpacks pockets.

1. I can’t sew. Can daisy chains and other mods be done by a local tailor/seamstress?

I would like to have daisy chains along the outside of the pack (like the HMG Porter), but in reality I haven’t missed them that much.  I imagine they could be added by a seamstress pretty easy.

1. Is the lumbar pad worth getting?

I don’t have the lumbar pad, but couldn’t imagine the pack carrying any better than it does already.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

#2 – The lack of a zipper is something I’d have to work around. I’m used to reaching and quickly grabbing a fleece vest, a goretex jacket, or some other item when the weather quickly turns ugly.

If that is an issue, I might check with S.O.   They used to offer a zipper on the pack and might still have one or two laying around.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

It may seem like a silly question, but I have wondered why SO doesnt install a water resistant zipper on the lid. It is a fairly high dollar addition to the pack. I like to keep my phone, broadheads, finger tab, map, headlamp, and generally these are items that I would like to keep dry. I still need to use a pack cover due to this design feature. It would be nice to have a lid that matched the waterproofness of the pack. I tend to do a lot of modifications to my packs if they dont have all of the features that I am used to. I have a new 3900 with some nice upgrades that werent on my 4800, on which I made several changes to. I love the way the pack carries but I am about to add a few straps, etc to the 3900 for an 8 day trip next week.

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

Hi Brent,

In short, waterproof zippers all fail.  #8 or #10 YKK’s will hold up for years.

Every time you use a waterproof zipper the waterproofing gets abraded.  They eventually leak.

The best waterproof zippers are also quite expensive.

So, we made the decision to stick a YKK in and let folks use ziplocs or drybags for sensitive gear.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools