Topic

Suggestions for new hiking pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Suggestions for new hiking pants?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

My REI Adventure pants (~12 oz) need replacing–I'm looking for something a bit lighter, and a little better fit.

Requirements are: nylon (or equivalent performance); non-convertible; non-cargo; available in 30" inseam. I've reluctantly accepted I may need to spend $60-80 to get what I want, but at that price point I don't want to fiddle with alterations. Would also like good leg movement without too much bagginess.

I'd been looking at Patagonia Rock Crafts, but my size is sold out (30/30). The Patagonia Gi III looks pretty good, and available in my inseam length directly from Patagonia. Waist size is a range: 29-30 for Small; 31-33 for Med. I'd prob. get Med.

Anyone have experience with the Gi III? Any other suggestions?

Russell Larsen
    BPL Member

@shub

I really like the Columbia Global Adventure pants. They are the most comfortable pants I've owned. I wear them to work and hiking. I usually wear a 30×30, and they fit me perfect. They are Columbia's "active fit" so they are slim, but not overly tight. They are 88% Poly/12% elastane, so they have a nice little stretch. The 30×30 is 9.5 oz on my scale.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I have an older version of the Gi pants, and I like the fabric a lot. I have the Rock Crafts, and they're ok, but I'd prefer a lighter, non-stretch fabric. Plus the snap at the waist is silly and annoying.

Brandon Richards
    BPL Member

@zendragon

Locale: Southern Arizona

Try the PrAna stretch zion pants…

Convertable:
    http://www.prana.com/stretch-zion-convertible.html?color=darkkhaki

Non Convertable:
    http://www.prana.com/stretch-zion-pant.html?color=darkkhaki

8oz give or take, with the non convertible ones being slightly lighter.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

I've used and loved the rei pants for years, and they seemed to shed dirt really well but I wore out the seams constantly and I ended up resewing the seat of the pants four times on my PCT hike so I switched to a pair of RailRiders and those wear like iron. Mine are a heavier version no longer sold but they do have several lighter fabric styles if you are willing to invest the dinero. They've lasted three times as long so far as the rei pants so I figure they are worth it.

Brandon Richards
    BPL Member

@zendragon

Locale: Southern Arizona

" really like the Columbia Global Adventure pants. They are the most comfortable pants I've owned. I wear them to work and hiking. I usually wear a 30×30, and they fit me perfect. They are Columbia's "active fit" so they are slim, but not overly tight. They are 88% Poly/12% elastane, so they have a nice little stretch. The 30×30 is 9.5 oz on my scale."

I wish they had those at the local store when I was there, the ones I bought (on a whim) have no stretch at all. Probably the silver ridge? I like these pants, they are durable and decently water repellent, but I could never use these for any activity that required any sort of flexibility.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I really like RailRiders Eco Mesh pants. They come in the 30" length (which I wear), and do not have a cargo pocket. They are not convertible, but have a zip open/closed outside leg seam backed by mesh for ventilation. They are great for the southern Sierra and SoCal mountains. Here's a link:

http://www.railriders.com/men-eco-mesh-pant-with-insect-shield-p-837.html?cPath=104_110

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

Marmot Cruz looks similar. I wear 33/30 jeans, and got the 34Short.
    They fit me well, and are comfortable. Also have the shorts.

The pants are advertised as 9.2oz, and mine weigh 259g/9.1oz.

Campsaver has a good selection. I think that's where I got mine, but on sale or clearance for half off.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

If anyone finds some of these laying around used in a small/short, I will pay serious dollars for them! Although they aren't the lightest, they just fit me very well with a higher rise. Nowadays, the low rise craze seems to have infected everything, including outdoor clothing. I just find a higher (to me normal) rise more comfortable. These are 7 years old and still going strong…Chris Townsend raved about them in his backpacking book, can't recall the name…

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

+1 on the Eco Mesh pants. The zip opening are fantastic. I also like the elastic in the waist and the button closure – snaps always seem to wear out. I find them about perfect for everything up to where I have to use my butt scrambling on slickrock, and for that I would use something tougher. Last time I made that mistake at the end of a long trip I looked like I had been attacked by a cougar.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Maybe give the Gramicci Rocket Dry G Pants a try? They can be had amazon for around $50 and have basically everything you want, and nothing you don't.

I only have experience with Gramicci shorts, but I can say emphatically that their gusseted crotch sewing pattern was very effective for articulation. I'd say this is even more important in pants.

If you give these a try, let me know how you like them. I've been considering a pair myself.

Andre Buhot
    BPL Member

@shadow-mkii

My Favourite Pants are the Kuhl Raptr's. Great fabric and just the right pockets for my needs

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

Montane terra trousers are my current faves

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

I'm also a 30/30. Still searching for the perfect cooler weather pant. But for warmer weather the ExOfficio Ventr is my favorite. Sun and bug protection with minimal weight and sweat.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I love my Arcteryx Rampart pants. Great cut, pocket layout, materials and workmanship.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Another vote for the Prana Stretch Zion pants, but my weight is closer to 13oz if I remember correctly.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

…For all the suggestions. Still leaning toward the Gi III, but others look interesting.

Eli Palmer

@wonkbro

Locale: Kamuela, Hawaii

I got a pair of Columbia AirGill Chill Pants a while back.

They are very lightweight pants @ 7.5 oz. 100% nylon, they feel thin and light, but have not torn or anything. A little on the baggy side, which helps with airflow.

They have Columbia's Omni-Freeze Ice, which supposedly cools the material when it comes into contact with sweat. I haven't noticed it, but then again, I don't get very sweaty legs.

The best part about them are the "Air Gills", which are smallish vents on the inner thigh area of the pants. These are pretty good at keeping the crotchal region from overheating. There is also a side pocket near the knee (on one side only unfortunately) which when opened, allows more airflow. The regular pockets are also lined with mesh.

They retail for about $70, but I got them on Sierra Trading Post for like $45. There are bargains on these in a lot of places.

Here they are for $50: http://www.campmor.com/columbia-sportswear-airgill-chill-pants-32in-men-39-s.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=47655FOS30&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

Anonymous
    Inactive

Eli, those Columbia pants actually look pretty awesome, especially if the main fabric itself is fairly breathable?

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I found a pair of the Columbia Air Gill pants on Amazon for 34.99,with free shipping if you spend 35 for eligible items, so I bought some food for a couple dollars that counted towards the 35 for free shipping. Problem is that only certain sizes are available for the discount. I bought a 36/34 size, so I will have to hem them and wear a belt.

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

7.5oz?! Really? Did you weigh them? Thx!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools