Topic

Headed south on the JMT on July 29…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Headed south on the JMT on July 29…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Wesley Larson
    Spectator

@wes

Locale: Northern Utah

This is my first extended solo trip. I've done plenty of shorter trips around MN (boundary waters, superior hiking trail), and have pretty comfortably done 20 mile days.

Looking to do the JMT in 16-17 days, beginning from Happy Isles on July 29th, with food pickups at Reds Meadow and Muir Trail Ranch.

Here's my current gear list:
    http://lighterpack.com/r/93ieru

Let me know if I'm missing anything, could really do without anything, or could lighten anything on the list relatively cheaply. I've checked out and tried other backpacks, but I'm most comfortable with the Exos, even though I could save weight there. I know I could save weight on the sleeping bag too, but unless I fall upon a supermegadeal, that's what I'll be going with.

Any tips, advice, suggestions, are very much appreciated. Thanks!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I think flip-flops will be a tough go.

I suggest going with trail runners.
    I know they weigh more, but for your first trip they'll be worth it.

Wesley Larson
    Spectator

@wes

My bad, the flipflops listed are just for camp, not my main hiking shoes.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

in that case if you want to save weight drop the flip flops.
    if you have the right feeling hiking shoes you don't need special camp shoes.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Agreed, drop the flip flops. Out of Happy Isles you are instantly going to wish that you had the lightest pack possible. And on that note: have you thought about stashing food at Tuolumne Meadows too? I've met lots of hikers who were disheartened hiking from Happy Isles to Tuolumne with six days of food on their backs. It's a real climb! And you're just starting out. I'd vote making things as easy as possible. Pack two days worth of food.

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

Are you cooking with esbits or alcohol?
    With the fire situation in California, you need to check to make sure you can use alcohol. As of last week you could not use alcohol in Yosemite, some of the other areas on the JMT have not made up their mind yet.

Wesley Larson
    Spectator

@wes

Alright, I can drop the flops.

My initial plan was to be able to get to Red's Meadow in 5 days/4 nights. I was going to ship my cookset to my first drop at Red's, and have non-cook food the first few days, along with a meal or two at Tuolumne (depending when I'm around there), and then a meal at Red's when I get there.

I guess I was more focused/worried about the last drop at Muir Trail Ranch, and carrying 9 days of food up and over the high passes, than I was the first couple of days.

Wesley Larson
    Spectator

@wes

Terry –

planning on an alcohol stove, but shipping it with my pickup at Red's Meadow, so I might be fine once I get out of Yosemite?

Thanks for the head's up on that. Where do you find updates on that stuff?

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

The PCTA site has some info. They also have links to the different forest services you will be going through. Just so happens i am leaving on the JMT SOBO on the 15th of July and have been checking all the links every week to try to find out which ones are allowing what. It is very confusing! I have finally decided to carry canister stove with esbit backup, but will keep checking for changes. My feeling is it will only get worse, not better.

Eileen Duncan
    BPL Member

@eileensd

Locale: The Sierra or the SF Bay Area

My hiking shoes (trail runners) were a dream, yet I was still sooo happy to have my flip flops (the cheapest, lightest old school kind I could find).

If it was me, I would drop the extra pair of Darn Tough socks. One pair of Darn Tough socks (w/Injini toe socks – foot savers!!!) saw me through the entire JMT. Twice. I also brought an ankle length pair of smartwool socks for sleeping (1.1 oz) and wore them occasionally during the day if the hiking socks were drying. Mostly, however, I could get by with only washing the liners regularly, as the Darn Tough held up so well and didn't get very stinky (at least not that I noticed! ;) .

Forego the inflatable pillow? It looks like it may be your luxury item, but you can use your jacket or something and make out just fine.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

flip flops: or get a pair of mesh pool shoes that weigh about 2 ounces. I use mine if I'm going to be crossing a lot of streams, but they're fine in camp. Except for the occasional Ponderosa pine cone needle!

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

As one of the many way-too-analytical BPL members I would like to know the precise weight cut off where going bare foot would be just as good ;-)

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

Last year the fire bans went into effect around July 1st in both Inyo and Sierra National Forests. Given how dry this year I expect it to be similar if not sooner. (Inyo NF and Sierra NF are the areas between Yosemite and Kings Canyon.)

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

SEKI allows alcohol and esbit during fire restrictions, so from MTR southward, I think you can use those for sure. Buy a cheap ebay cannister stove and leave it in the hiker box at MTR and use alchol from there, they sell the alcohol too. The weight isnt much of an issue anywhere before there.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools