Topic

Platypus: Durability, Repair, Technique

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Platypus: Durability, Repair, Technique

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

1) How durable are the Platypus 1L Softbottles? What is their weak point, if/when they fail–around the collar? The bottom? Is there an “early warning” at which point you should dispose?
    2) I often put a full 1L bottle near the bottom back of my pack. Is this asking for trouble? (Sleeping bag and other down clothes next to it, but they’re in a dry sack)
    3) I’d read you could repair a Platy in the same way you repair an air pad. Anyone had experience with this?
    4) Is there any particular trick to Platy care, beyond the obvious: to treat them gently, to rinse and air dry, no hot or boiling water in them?
    5) Given this is a relatively thin piece of plastic that’s holding a valuable resource (particularly in desert camping), wouldn’t it be wise to use several 1L bottles, or even .5L bottles, rather than a 2L bottle/bladder or 3L hoser or larger Water Tank? A leak would be less catastrophic.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've had several Platypus bags

The only problem is, after a few years, they get brittle and yellowed. Then, I replace just because it seems like a good idea, but never broke. I am pretty careful though.

two 4 liter bags, one 2 liter bag, I just bought a 3 liter hoser bag

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

I've used Platypus bottles in various sizes for a long time, and only had two issues:

1) Split a seam once overfilling with a pump filter screwed tight to the top. This was clearly operator error. Leaving the lid a little loose removes that as a potential source of failure, as does using Aquamira.
    2) Had small holes chewed in one of the newer Hoser bags (the ones with the softer feeling plastic). I assume it was some sort of rodent working on it overnight–since I never use anything but water in the bags, I'm not sure what the attraction was. When I got home, I tried to repair the holes with the patches Platypus sells. Decided the patched bag wasn't reliable enough and discarded it, but still carry a couple patches for 'just in case' field repair.

Small leaks seem possible, especially with old, well-worn bottles. Catastrophic failure seems pretty unlikely without some serious (and avoidable) abuse. I've never heard of a bag just popping in someone's pack–they've been around for a long time and used by a lot of people. Having said that, redundancy makes sense, especially when the empty bags are so light.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I was backpacking with teenagers

Same thing – pump filter blew out platypus bag

Many teenagers require extra durable gear

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

I use the 2L hoser bags and they've lasted over 500 miles so far and the only time when I foresaw a possible leak was where the plastic had kinked a tiny bit near the screw top so before it became a problem I just put a tenacious tape patch on it and no leaks after two years and well over 700 miles , although it's getting slightly yellow now. Just in case I have a new one with me. The one liter
    bags are nice but they require filling twice as much so I just use those to mix powdered drinks in. I also have dyneema bags with a handle on them to contain the 2 liter bottles, it protects the bags while in my pack and I can hang the whole thing up on a tree to use at camp.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Delmar,

A bit off topic but if you do have any leaking
    Units Cascade will replace them under warranty.

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

I've been using the same 3 Platys for over 5 years now. They have never leaked, and I have used them in ways they were never intended to be used. For example, when I broke my shoulder I used one as a hot water bottle every day for quite a few weeks. I'm sure I slept on it more than once too.

Mercutio Stencil
    BPL Member

@fuzz2050

I've had one Platypus die on my, and it was user error, I guess. I left it out after a trip, and one of my cats got to it. Luckily most of the teeth ended up in the non-structural base, but a few teeth made it through the bladder. Cascade Designs actually recommended duct tape as a repair, although they did offer to replace it. My duct tape patch has been working well for hundreds of miles.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I've one develop a pin hole… just used duct tape and it was good to go… though I would not put it low in my pack which would create pressure on it. I keep mine at the top of my pack. I like the heavier things up high… and the wet things a way from my sleeping bag.

billy

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Question for Billy: At the top of your bag, doesn't a leaking bladder have greater potential to do damage? It could wet your entire pack contents from there.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

All my down stuff is kept in wp bags. Platy on top for two reasons: 1. If I want to drink from it, I don't want to have to empty my pack to do so. 2. I like the heavier things up high and close to my back… puts the weight over my hips.

Billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Also, 3. I don't like putting weight on top of these flimsy bags for fear that they will pop… though I've never had one do so.

billy

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

Ditto on what Billy said above. If you are using dry bags or a trash compactor bag inside then putting the water bladder on top is not a problem and they drain easier for drinking in that position.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Billy that's a good argument, especially if the platys seldom ever leak. I may have to move my platys up for better carry.

Often I carry two 1L low and against back, and then .5L in a hard bottle in the outer pack pocket. But maybe it's worth the negligible risk of a leaking Platy to get that weight up higher. And, after all, my down is in a dry sack lower in the pack, so a wet-out wouldn't be catastrophic.

David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Locale: New England

I've had the old style 2 liter bladders w/ hose and the old style push / pull cap 1 liter bladders for 10 years now.

I purchased the platypus repair patches 10 years ago as well, but have never had to use them.

I've hiked a lot in areas with overgrown thorny bushes, but have been lucky enough never to pop a hole in one so I can't say how well the patches work. I can say that the old style bladders are really tough. I'd purchased a good supply of them at the beginning, so I have yet to use the new ones for anything like rough country.

I can tell you that last fall I contacted Cascade Designs to inquire about repairs to 2 of the bladders (a 1 liter delaminating, and a 2 liter leaking around the base of the cap) and was told to mail them to Cascade Designs for replacement. I did so, and they quickly sent me replacements (2 weeks from my mailing old ones to receiving new ones in mail).

Both bladders that were replaced had seen a good amount of use.

I have always put them into the packs internal bladder sleeve without hesitation and will continue to do so. The only leak I've ever had was at the point where the cap assembly was heat sealed to the bladder. It only got the inside of the pack a little damp from maybe 2-3 ounces of water over a 12 hour period.

In hot arid environments, I would take an extra bladder of whatever size I was using just in case, but have never needed to use it.

Edit: I forgot to add that I nearly always (regardless of terrain) use my pack as a chair back of sorts. I sit on the ground and lean back against the pack, usually sandwiched between myself and a tree or large rock and have never popped a bladder.

Platypus bladders are absolutely essential for me, and I would be lost without them.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

I have been using Platypus bags for probably over 10 years now. The only failure was one bag punctured by a pair of crampons!!!

I put them in the pack wherever is most convenient and never worry about it. I routinely st on my pack when resting and have never had a bag leak. I use both the bottles and the hoser bladers depending on what I am doing.

German Tourist
    BPL Member

@germantourist

Locale: in my tent

I have been using Platypus bottles for my entire 20,000 mile hiking career. I have owned about 30 Platypus bottles but paid for only one third of them. The rest was all exchanged for free under warranty. Although they might be durable enough for "normal" use, I found them quite unreliable for extensive long term use. No Platypus has survived more than 6 months of constant use! You can expect three types of failures:

Platypus quality inspection must not be very good as I have had 2 or 3 bottles that already leaked when they were brand new. But this is easy to find out and won't be a problem for you.

Another three or four times I poked a hole into them myself. This is usually not a problem because the leak is then normally in the flat surface area. I have repaired these holes with Seamgrip (not very durable because Seamgrip does not stick to the surface), Gorilla tape (works excellent!) and with all types of Superglue (works ok, especially when covered up with tape).

But after several months of constant use the material tires. You will see that delaminations start and then it is definitely time to change the bottle. The most vulnerable part is the fold directly underneath the plastic spout. Due to the design of the bottle the material folds/bends there and over time the material delaminates and/or tears. This is almost impossible to repair because the repair spot will be strained again. You can temporarily repair it with superglue and tape but don't expect this repair to last longer than a couple of days.

I still use Platypus because I could not find any better lightweight and foldable solution for hiking. Their warranty is great and all delaminated bottles have been exchanged for free.

If you want something bomb proof (but heavy) go for Ortlieb water containers. They come in 4 and 10 litres and are basically bombproof. I have been using mine for months on end on bike and paddling trips and never ever had any problems. A friend used his for 3 years on a RTW bike trip without any problems and even just strapped them onto his bike. Unfortunately they are just too heavy for hiking.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

My Platypus 2L bottle feels solid and firm, like hard plastic.

My 1L Platypus SmartBottle feels MUCH softer, like a totally different kind of plastic. Seems much more likely to "crease" and fail that way.

Hope this is helpful!

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I have used them pretty extensively with only one issue. I did manage to wear a pinhole in a 2 liter one on a 4200+ mile coast to coast bicycle tour. It was strapped on top of the rear rack and got a pinhole where it rubbed. It barely leaked and duct tape fixed it just fine. I used it for a few years after that and probably still have it somewhere.

I've never had any fail inside a bag or pack. They are pretty durable. I carry them in the pack anywhere that is convenient and do not worry a bit. The gear that absolutely needs to stay dry is protected in some manner though.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools