Topic

PHD filler bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) PHD filler bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=26&products_id=366

anyone out there using one of these? either on its own for warmer temps or for its designed purpose as a filler/booster bag. i have already pulled the trigger on one but just wanted to know what some owners thought. this will be my first product from them but their range looks to be pretty good.. bags and clothing.

anyhow, on my last trip i was camped out in a valley one night, with a great view near a river, (but probably not the best camp site ive ever chosen) and woke up a little chilly with some ice on the outside of my shelter. i was using a synthetic quilt (rated at 38deg C) plus a bivy bag and it was mainly my legs and feet that were cold, although i had a foam pad under me and some wool socks and leggings on. my top half was fairly good. it was pretty moist outside and when i finally got packed up and moving at 8.40 it was 3deg C. and its only going to get colder as we move in to winter.

the plan is to use the filler bag in conjunction with the quilt, but to also give me some options further down the track… so to speak. i usually sleep in wool socks, leggings, a hooded top and down vest. im about 184cm tall but ordered the short version, so hopefully it will come to about chest height on me… i hate my arms being restricted when im sleeping, another good reason for me to use quilts, and i only zip up the bivy if i really have to get some distance from the sandflies. ive had sleeping bags in the past but never really zipped them up while sleeping.

im in New Zealand where it can get real wet and real cold at any time of the year, so hopefully my MLD little star, this down (half)bag with a synthetic quilt, bivy and my base layers will give me what i need to stay toasty and dry through the seasons, sometimes five seasons in one day.

i may do a review at some stage as i have done with some of my other key gear items. thanks for any feed back if you already use one of these, and any comments.

bwilli

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

No experience with this but I have owned lots of PHD kit and its on par with WM.

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

cool, thanks for the comment. i hope it turns up soon, its starting to get chilly

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools