Topic

Pad Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pad Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I need pad suggestions. My shoulder width is between 19-20 inches so the TorsoLite I had planned on purchasing is out. My torso is also between 19-20 inches. I want something comfortable but also reasonable on weight.

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

Search this forum for the Montbell #90 Pad. I just bought one because of discussions on this site and am really happy with it. Mine weighs 9.6oz. One question I do have about it is the R rating. I do not see a rating listed anywhere and would be interested in comparing the rating to the TorsoLite.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Do you think there are weight limits for the lighter 1.0 inch thick inflatables such as the Montbell, POE, and BMW torsolite?

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

John,
    I don't understand the question.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Chris,
    I own 7 mattresses/pads and I will discuss the three with the highest comfort to weight ratio.
    For summer:
    Montbell inflatable, short (120cm), 340grams
    Montbell inflatable, long(180cm), 370grams
    Year round:
    Montbell UL foam mattress, 120cm, 360grams

My Prolite3 and Coleman are too heavy and my GG Torsolite is too uncomfortable for me.

The MB inflatables are a full 5cm thick, with 6 independent chambers. Keep the two edge chambers a little more full and it will create a butter-dish type shape which is very comfortable, even sleeping on concrete or rocks; both of which I have done with this mat. Put something under your feet if you choose the 120cm version. I use the Montbell pillow (80grams) which has a notch in the middle to cradle your head, and I plan to toggle it to the mat.

The UL foam mattress has 90cm, 120, 150, 180, 180camp versions and uses solid (not die cut) foam with a high R value. Last winter I slept on ice with this and a 1/8" Gossamer Gear Thinlight in my tent. Could not feel any heat loss. The air mattresses would have been very cold in that situation.

As for weight limits I don't know, but the two inflatables are very strong fabric. Ive had two people totaling 120kg sitting on them. The UL mattress is maybe less strong..

If this is for the 6 warmest months Id get the 120cm inflatable for its luxury. 6 coldest months the UL foam pad and a Thinlight.

http://en.montbell.jp/products/goods/list.php?category=229000

If Montbell CO won't order it from Japan for you, Ill ship you one. I've bought many MB items for BPL members.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'm thinking the UL series is a better fit for me year-round although I may change that when summer rolls around again. I'm thinking the 90 + the 30 extension (doubles as sit pad) + the pillow. Totals around a pound but should cover me and I may wind up not using the pillow. I seem to always wind up ditching the pillow for some reason.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Brett,

Please send me an e-mail address or a way to send you a PM. I may want to have you order the inflatable Montbell 120 for me. I want to discuss this with you, go over my present options, etc. I have been considering getting one of the UL 90 or 120 Pads, but this may meet my needs even better.

Rich

Brett .

@brett1234

Richard,
    I added my email so I can get PMs once again, and I would be happy to help you (or any other member) out with items from Japan.

Take a look at the Montbell air mattresses on the site as well. 6 independent chambers, 120cm, durable material, 340grams; rolls to the size of a Fosters can. Its even lighter than the 360gram 120cm UL foam mattress.

That inflatable is luxurious for 3-season use, but the foam one is better insulation in winter (I use it with a GG Thinlight).
    http://webshop.montbell.jp/goods/list.php?category=229000

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Hi Brett,

PM address is still not listed for you.

Here is my situation. Weight and volume are always an issue, since I am a Professional Photographer frequently carrying my 4 X 5 field kit or medium format kit along with everything else in my 5 1/2 lb Custom 5000+ Cu in McHale Panel loading pack.

I have a number of pads, don't we all? Anyway, I have one of the GG Nightlite 3/4 length pads, which I am still not sure about if it is comfortable enough.

For winter or cold weather conditions I have invested in one of the Warmlite DAM (down air mattress) which weighs 20.2 oz + 2.8 oz for the pump sack. It may be a little heavy, but is/should be quite warm with about 3-4 inches???? of 800??? down in the chambers. It is supposed to be one of the warmest mattresses.

I also purchased one of the Montbell inflatable pillows at your suggestion (you like it so much).

I had considered getting one of the 90 or 120 UL foam Montbell Pads to go with inflatable pillow. Since you brought up the inflatable 120 Montbell air matress, I am now considering this for the warmer months.

I believe that the Montbell inflatable pillow will attach to any of the 3 mentioned Montbell matresses.

I would appreciate your thoughts on my situation. I believe that I could also use the Montbell Air Matress with the Warmlite DAM. It might be a bit cool and if I used it, and if placed the ground I would need to raise it to the proper height.

If I had you pick up the Air Matress, How would we go about payment and shipment? I live in eastern PA.

Thanks.

Rich

Brett .

@brett1234

Richard,
    I am unable to PM you, as BPL has still not fixed the "somebodys compass is broke" dead link to all profiles. You think they would have tested that before bringing the site online.. my email is brettgb2004 at yahoo dot com.

My opinion is you need something between the light Nightlight and the very heavy Warmlite DAM, unless you can just carry the weight of the Warmlite all year long. That is a simple solution. I own an 1/8" nightlight and consider it insulation only, not comfortable enough to sleep on unless of course Im laying on a bed of pine needles.

So, assuming you want a quiver of mattresses for differing conditions, then yes, get just one more.. the Montbell inflatable air mattress. It does NOT toggle to the MB pillow, but that is easily modified.

Your system would then be as follows:
    SUL: the Nightlight and MP pillow
    3-season: MB inflatable 120cm and MB pillow (410 grams)
    Winter: The DAM alone, or with the Nightlight.
    You're set.

About payment, paypal please, but not till we decide on the total? You can see convert the yen to dollars then theres a percent for paypal, my train ticket, etc..

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Hi Brett,

Thanks for getting back to me and making the recommendations. I will send you an e-mail with comments and instructions.

By the way, the Warmlite DAM isn't really that heavy, certainly for what it is with all of the down (much lighter than the Exped Down Mattresses). It is light as basically a 68"???? mattress goes. It is about the same weight as my Thermarest Prolite 4 full length mattress.

Rich

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools