Topic

Poncho Tarps List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Poncho Tarps List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

>>> A few more:

Backpacking light
    Oware
    Sea To Summit <<<<

Hi Daniel

BLP Spin 4.9 oz $110 (out of stock)
    Sea to Summit poncho 10 oz $80
    Could not find Oware poncho tarp

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Can't find it on the oware website, maybe Mr Olsen is not making it anymore? There is a review of that poncho/tarp at this website (BPL)

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Brett the coverage with the SMD Gatewood Cape is good enough that I don't need a bivy. And the ground cloth is wide enough that I don't have problems keeping my bag clean.

I had looked at bivy/tarp combinations because of their flexibility. But the cost was high to go light and really didn't fit my goal to minimize my gear closet for 3 season backpacking.

Minimizing my gear closet translates to this:
    1 pack – GG Mariposa Plus
    1 shelter – SMD Gatewood Cape
    1 sleeping bag – WM UltraLite Super
    1 insulated jacket – Micropuff Pullover
    1 wind shirt – OR Ion

It also simplifies the following question
    Q: What should I take on my 3 season trip?
    A: Pack your entire gear closet.

My pack isn't the lightest but my base weight is under 9 lb before I add camera gear.

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

My wife and I use the following system:

1. GG Spinntwin–11.0 (stakes and lines)
    2. BMW Nano Bivy/Homemade Bivy–6.5 (for me)/5.0 (for wife).

Mosquito netting is included in the above weight (bivies). We don't use ground sheets, and find the bivy's sufficient. This is 22.5 combined weight, or 11.25 per person, for the shelter.

The only two person system I have seen that is comparable in weight is the GG Tarptent at 24.4.

On my last trip, I carried an 8.5 oz homemade pocho tarp as backup shelter and raingear. Thus, my share of the shelter, plus raingear was about 20 oz.

(My trekking poles are homemade and very light, but I don't know their exact weight. Since they're multi-use, it doesn't seem right to count them in the shelter weight)

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

>>Any tarp owners out there who can tell me the weight of their System?
    Tarp-Poncho +
    Bivy sack +
    Ground Sheet(optional if you have a bivy sack?) +
    Mosquito netting
    = ?

Golite Poncho/tarp = 10.6 oz. I also use this as my primary rain gear. An OR Ion (3.5 oz.) also comes along as wind and supplementary rain gear.

No bivy

3'X 7' 2 mil plastic sheet=3.2 oz.

Most of the time I pitch my poncho/tarp as a pyramid.
    Not being a a fan of head nets and small bug bivys, I came up with a way to block the open end with an easily-removable netting set up. It uses tulle, 1/8" cord, duct tape and mini-binder clips. The weight is 3.1 oz.

Weight of stakes and guys is 2.7 oz.

If you figure that you are carrying the poncho anyway as rain gear, the weight is 3.2 + 3.1 + 2.7 = 9 oz.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Dondo-
    can you post a pic with your tarp set up w/ bug netting?
    I would like to see how it works/looks. Thanks

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

I would agree with Steve, although I usually use my Contrail, I have had several very rainy nights out with the Gatewood as my rain gear and then my tent. It is an amazingly tight little shelter. The pitch is easy once you get the hang of it and no bivy is needed. Room for me and my gear. I have not used it in bug season due to the lack of netting, however there is a BPL thread on that very subject as well as a DIY project to add mosquito netting and a floor to the Gatewood. I am planning on some mods of my cape this fall.
    -Mark

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Steve, your minimal gear list is appealing. I have much less than I used to, but still too much. Far from being a subject of pride, my packed gear closet houses many worthless purchases.

Currently my UL shelter setup is a Montbell Zelt UL solo tent at 8.48 oz, and a few ounces for stakes and guy lines depending on the type I need for the ground conditions. The zelt (with no-see-um mesh over the vents) provides sun, wind, rain, and bug protection. It folds open to a flat tarp but can not be used as a poncho while moving.

With this zelt I still must carry my 19 oz rain wear set (Montbell RainTrekker 1/4 zip pants and TNF DIAD jacket) for a total of about 30 ounces.

shown is a similar zelt:
    Zelt
    I have never actually slept in the zelt because I have not hiked alone in years.

Jonathan Chiappa
    BPL Member

@chiappaj

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I've used Steve's exact sleeping set-up in the Sierra's with Mosquitoes for 5 nights. (not as bad as Japan but there were still bugs.) I can't wear a normal no-see-um head-net for even half and hour but the BPL head net was almost a pleasure to wear all night. (I wore it just on my head without a ball cap.) I really is much better than a normal head net. (but you pay for it ;) )

– Jon

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Avg wt 8.8 oz Min wt 4.0 oz Max wt 13.0 oz
    Avg $ 77.46 Min $ 30 Max $ 170

By wt and $
    MLD Spectralite, 4.0, $170, mountainlaureldesigns.com
    BLP Spin Poncho [2], 4.9,$110, backpackinglight.com
    Campmor Ultra, 7.0, $40, campmor.com
    Oware poncho tarp [3], 8.0, $74, owareusa.com
    Campmor Ultra Extended, 8.5, $45, campmor.com
    MLDesigns Sil Pro, 8.6, $155, mountainlaureldesigns.com
    Tyvek Poncho [1], 9.0, $30, goodlingoutdoor.com
    Sierra Designs Hurricane Poncho, 10.0, $30, campmor.com
    GoLite Ultralite, 10.0, $50, golite.com
    ID 5×8 tarp with hood, 10.0, $75, integraldesigns.com
    Sea to Summit Ultra Sil, 10.0, $79, basegear.com
    SMDesign Gatewood, 11.0, $110, sixmoondesign.com
    Sea to Summit Nylon poncho, 13.0, $39 ,LLBean.com

Note 1: dyed and treated with waterproof spray
    Note 2: out of stock
    Note 3: not found – info from BLP review – May 2006

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Frogg Toggs has a poncho now, but I don't think it is made to be set up as a shelter, not that a person can't change that.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Brett, yes, the MLD Pro is an expensive piece. But I had already tried the GoLite. Big differences that I found:
    The quality of the MLD is top notch.
    The hood design of the MLD is unique and better than any of the other designs that I'd seen from GoLite or Integral Designs.
    The MLD is longer and enables me to use it without a bivy if I choose.
    The geometry of the MLD provides a better tarp than the flat, rectangular tarps. The MLD has a catenary cut and is wider at the head end than the foot.
    The MLD Pro provides more side tie outs.
    The MLD poncho has tie outs that allow the foot end to be pegged to the ground for maximum storm coverage. These ties are centered, about 15 inches from the end of the tarp.

There are some other differences. But I am starting to sound biased. YMMV.

Will Rietveld's review was spot on for me.

(I did look at the current price. It's $30 more than I paid in 2006. Ron's business is really going well.)

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

>>>Dondo-
    can you post a pic with your tarp set up w/ bug netting?
    I would like to see how it works/looks. Thanks

Brian, here are some pics of my poncho/tarp set up:

With this end to the storm it's remarkably wind resistant.

Notice the mini-binder clips along the front. A dozen is about right. Total weight is 0.6 oz.

The 2" wide duct tape is actually overkill in this application. Something half as wide would work fine.

A 1/8" parachute cord in the fold of the duct tape serves as a bead over which the edge of the tarp can be folded and held with a clip. It makes a nice mosquito-proof seam.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Very nice. Do you think it'd work as well if the cord was sewn into a hem on the bug screen?

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Possibly, Jim. Tulle is rather fragile stuff and I didn't want to take a chance of tearing it with the binder clips. In addition, the tape adds some stiffness to the cord which means that you don't have to use as many binder clips to get a good seal between the netting and the tarp.

But you're right. There is a lot of weight in the duct tape and it's definitely a candidate for lightening up.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

After considering the choices, I believe any one of them would be fine for most hikers. Or even two of them:

Both the Mountain Laurel Designs Silnylon Pro and the GoLite Ultralite had good reviews. I'd narrowed my decision to either GoLite or MLD. The higher price for MLD compared to GoLite had given GoLite an edge. However, Phil's comments and reading Will's review inspired me to go with MLD.

The MLD will take about eight weeks. So I will go with the Golite on a couple of upcoming hikes. Often I hike with either one of my two sons depending on the destination. Therefore, both ponchos will receive plenty of wear and tear.

Thanks all for the help.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Dondo, very nice setup. How are you rigging the tieout from the hood? Are you just running a line from the drawcord on the hood?

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Here's a closer look, Steve:

The hood drawstring is pulled closed and the hood is given a couple of twists. Then the hood is folded back on itself and held in place with an overhand knot. A sheet bend attaches the triptease to the drawstring loop.

BTW, nice shot of the Maroon Bells.

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

I've used a poncho tarp occasionally "when I didn't need it. It works well as a tarp (a little harder to pitch given non-caternary design and hood) but a little less well as rainwear–if you're on a rough trail. The poncho obscures the view of your feet and makes tripping more likely. Additionally attaching and detatching the guylines (and untangling them) is a pain in the bivy. On an easy, flat or non-rocky trail it might be fine (PCT in Oregon).

I still like the tarp (5oz homemade in Cuban), bivy (BPL Nano–also 5 oz), and rainjacket (Patagonia Specter pullover–6.5 oz) combination as the most versatile.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've never cared for the tarp-and-bivy combination. I hike in wet, windy country and wanted more 360 degree protection. My first choice was a GoLite Hut 1 which was light and could be fully battened down in bad weather.

I wanted a lighter option and the SMD Gatewood Cape works well for me. It provides the same level of protection as the Hut1, but eliminates my 12oz rain parka, so the net weight reduction is more like 21oz (the Hut1 is 20oz).

The Gatewood makes a great day hiking emergency overnight option too, as do all the ponchos made for shelters. Add one of the Adventure Medical emegency bivy bags and you're ready for anything.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Dale, your hut 1 weighs 20 oz? Is that with stakes? Mine weighs 17 oz without stakes, bought in 2005.

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools