Topic

Modifying cooking pots advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Modifying cooking pots advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

I would like to cut the top off and re-form the top edge of some of my aluminum pots and I am wondering if any BPL MYOGer’s have any experience or knowledge that they are willing to share about re-forming the top edge or if they know of a web site that could help me.

Thanks

Tony

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

you can whack the pot effortlessly with an angle grinder and a slotting wheel/ or, a muffler cutter and it;s thin disk/. to roll the edge, and this is gonna be xucky, you will need to locate a "bead roller". check harbor freight web site, but i think it's going to be more trouble that it be worth. you'll end up with a 90° edge, and you can ding that down

Lance Parrish

@lancejparrish

Locale: Southeast US

Speaking from experience, I would caution you about hacking off the top edge of your pot. If you remove the rolled edge of the pot, you may accomplish your original goal, but you'll definitely accomplish the following two. First, by removing the rolled edge you will have effectively removed the safe 'no sharp edge exposed to cut you' rim. If you do so, be sure to sand smooth the ENTIRE rim. If you miss a spot, your lips will let you know it. Secondly, you will have removed a good bit of the pots structural integrity. That rolled rim actually helps to retain the pot's shape. Doing away with it will have negative effects on the pot. I would also like to point out that (depending on your pot) your pot's lid may no longer fit correctly after the modification.

Now, with all that in mind, if you still want to cut your pot, let's go get the Dremel!

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Thanks for the advice Peter and Lance,

After talking to a few people I think that I will try and roll the edge on my lathe and I will cut the top off in a wire cutter. I will keep in mide to keep the edge smooth.

I am actually shortening a Jetboil 1l pot to make it into a 550 and I have also removed the connection ring from the base and plan to use the pot on one of my little MYOG stoves.

Thanks

Tony

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools