Topic

How does my backpack fit? (Pics inside)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How does my backpack fit? (Pics inside)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

David C Said:
    "You wouldn't expect someone with little hiking base to do 20 miles and feel no fatigue in their feet and legs, so why would pack carrying be any different?"

This is one of the best statements I've read on BPL in a long time and don't understand why it isn't pointed out more often.

And to the OP, pull out the stay and work on the top bend, try to get it to contour your shoulders/upper back. If you get a good bend that pulls the top of the frame closer to your body, you will need to rely less on the load lifters to pull the pack in. I have a fusion 50 and it took quite a bit of tweaking and adjusting before I was able to dial in a nice fit. The yoke attaches so far down on the spine that the typically accepted shoulder wrap/attachment theory isn't really applicable with this pack. Forget about trying to get the load lifters at 45*, just get a comfortable torso set and use the load lifters strictly for minimal pulling in of the pack.

Did you get a response from Ron yet?

Eli Palmer

@wonkbro

Locale: Kamuela, Hawaii

Thanks again guys.

I went on a 15 mile hike loaded again with 30lbs one more time to see if I could figure out my problem. Up to about 8 miles it was very comfortable. After that it seemed like the pack itself sagged down to my butt, even though the hipbelt stayed put. I think this caused the shoulder straps to pull down and back. While the outside of the shoulder straps came off my shoulders, the inner edges seemed to put a little pressure on my trapezius muscle. Over a long hike, I think that is what is causing the pain. I don't know though, I guess I'll have to try out some other packs to see what is "normal" and what is pack specific.

No response from Ron yet, but I did return the pack to hikelight.com because my month was almost up. I just checked SMD's page and apparently there is now a "large" option for the pack (when I bought it the first time there was only regular and small). I might try that one out, as well as bending the stay as some have suggested. I hope the large option means a higher frame, and not just a longer shoulder yolk.

Might try out the Paradox Unaweep.

Shane L
    Spectator

@shanegasm

Locale: Nebraska

It's just a longer yoke. The straps are exactly the same as the normal size, but they add about 2" of velcro to the yoke so that you have a bit more play when adjusting. The frame is exactly the same.

From Brandon Moak:
    "The difference is in the length of the yoke portion. We added an
    additional 2 inches of velcro loop to the bottom of the yoke. This
    allows it to attach in a higher position on the pack and will cover a
    taller individual. It also allows the yoke to cover people with larger
    chests because the shoulder straps do not need to travel as far to reach
    the shoulders and arch over them."

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I have tried on both Fusion packs.
    I have a broken left clavicle and that side shoulder pad dug into my neck.
    If not for the clavicle, I think I would like the pads being that wide; however I noticed one thing seemed a little odd in the fit.

There are two things that may relate to the fit issue.
    It either seemed like the shoulder straps came up around your neck at a slightly crocked angle, or the stitching where the shoulder pads connected to the pack were not secured in a way that transferred to a weird feeling when the straps came across the shoulders.
    Maybe it was both the width and the density that played the role in helping this.
    I found it very uncomfortable on the side with he broken clavicle and just slightly odd feeling on the other side.
    Maybe with weight added, the feeling is compounded???
    Maybe it could benefit having a little more pliable shoulder strap that could articulate to fit around the shoulder a little better.

I don't think it is a Yoke problem as much as a stitch/ backing, or angular problem.
    I could see it being a very simple in-house fix. Then again, while having it on for 5 minutes with 15 pounds in it, I am not the one to speculate.

I have a Flight 40.
    Everything is perfect on that pack.
    The shoulder straps have less bulk and not quite as wide, which feels great on my shoulders.
    I'll be writing a good review on the 40 as soon as I get some more mileage out of it.
    Everyone just needs to learn to pack less and take a smaller pack.

JJ Willcoxon
    Spectator

@h2oboy

Locale: Midwest

I am wondering the same thing:

"In your first post you indicated you had a Granite Gear Blaze AC60. Curious as to what you did not like about the Blaze? Afterall, it is an award winning pack and the Large has an adjustable torso frame up to 24" and the suspension can definitely handle your loads."

I use my Blaze AC60 for these types of loads on my longer trips and just love the load transfer I get to my hips with it.

If SMD's specs are accurate, you are getting a 7 oz. weight reduction and some exta pockets with the the Fusion. But, is it really as (or more) comfortable to carry 30+ lbs. loads in? I also noticed that they they call it "bear can compatible". Can you get a BV500 in there horizontally, or are they talking about vertically and/or a smaller capacity bear can?

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I think the Fusion needs a total yoke re-design…I made a MYOG new yoke, and it REALLY made a huge difference in how the whole pack felt!

The Fusion 65 will only take a BV500 vertically, and with my (uncompressed) WM sleeping bag, a down jacket, and my sleeping pad, there wasn't a ton of extra room left. HOWEVER, if I compressed everything, it would work, even though the bear can takes up a lot of the available space. I just felt it needed some extra features, like better pockets, etc. But the weight transfer to the hips was EXCELLENT!

JJ Willcoxon
    Spectator

@h2oboy

Locale: Midwest

Thanks for the info Valerie. Very helpful.

Eli Palmer

@wonkbro

Locale: Kamuela, Hawaii

Aaron,

I've been thinking about trying out the Flight 40.

What do you think of the "vest" style harness on the Flight 40, in terms of comfort?

I'm guessing there is no way in hell to fit a bearcan in there?

Thanks,

Eli

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I love the Flight 40.

I've only loaded it up for a short hike once, but have loaded it up to what my max weight will be a few times just to try it out.
    My max weight I'll ever have in this pack is about 22 pounds. Thats with a BV450 and 5 or 6 days of food.
    Even with the above, the pack is not fully loaded. That's 4 pounds of pack and bear vault with 13 pounds of food and 5 more pounds of everything else.

I also own an Osprey 44 and this pack is miles ahead of the Talon in terms of fit and comfort.
    My only thing I don't like about the Flight 40 are the bottle holders (same as the Fusion).
    Same flimsy material but also doesn't fit a bottle in worth a darn when the pack is loaded.
    I am thinking about just using 2 of these 16 ounce bottles up front and a 1 liter Nalgene in the back if needed.
    1sw

A lot of people looked the Flight 40 at the GGG and said that is would be way to hot.
    I found that the pack heats the body up the most around the super wide hip belt.
    Much more than the harness itself.

Once the pack is dialed in, the weight almost disappears as it spreads throughout your body.
    The weight distribution is far better than any pack or vest I have tried.
    I have no idea how SMD got the fit so perfect on this pack, but they did.

The side pulls that come from the bottom of the chest harness is absolute genius.
    I hate a good fitting pack that once I speed up a little and try to cinch everything up, it fits crapy or the yolk pulls up on the hip belt and it slides up from fitting correctly around your hips.
    With the 40, the fit stays put.

I am 5' 11" and 165
    The Med-Lrg fits better than I would have though it would.
    It would fit someone a little bigger even better.
    It seems like it would even fit someone pretty big?

I would shift to a Small-Med any shorter than 5'9" (with a smallish frame) or lighter than 155 pounds (being 5'9" or taller).

I will be writing a good report once I get some more (better) milage on it.
    It really does deserves more love.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools