Topic

Hammocking in the Sierra

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hammocking in the Sierra

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Locale: New England

I am planning my first trip to the Sierra this September (Woo-Hoo!) doing the High Sierra Trail. I generally hang when backpacking solo. Is this going to be a viable option? I know there are a few camps above treeline where it just won't work, but is it worth bringing the Hammock at all? Judging from the photos I have been looking at online it seems like it could work at many sites but I wanted to get some first-hand advice. If so, am I going to be okay with 42" Tree Straps or am I going to need something bigger?

I am tentatively planning on camping at the following sites: Bearpaw Meadow, Morraine Lake, Junction Meadow, Guitar or Crabtree Lakes, Trail Camp (I know it is ridiculously close to the end but I need to get a 1:00 pickup on the last day to catch a flight and there is no way I can make it to Whitney Portal from the other side by then).

I will be looking for more advice on my gear list soon, I just need to settle this shelter question first. Any and all input is much appreciated!

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Bearpaw, Moraine Lake, Junction Meadow: Plenty of trees.

Guitar Lake: Guitar is above treeline, there won't be anywhere to hang. You could either stop near the Crabtree Ranger Station or stay at Lower Crabtree Lake. Upper Crabtree Lake is above treeline.

Trail Camp: Also above treeline. The first trees you encounter will be at Mirror Lake. However, there is no camping allowed here. The first place to camp with trees will be Outpost Camp.

Arn Aarreberg
    Spectator

@aarrebea

Locale: Northern Bay Area, CA

Andrew pretty much nailed it. Once you leave Kern Canyon, you won't find very many trees.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Guitar or Crabtree Lakes"

Lower Crabtree Lake would be excellent for a hammock; lots of campsites in the wooded area on the north shore of the lake. However, it will add an at least an hour and a half to your hiking time, when compared to Guitar Lake, possibly two. But you will find Lower Crabtree Lake to be a much more enjoyable place to camp. Guitar Lake has long since been "loved to death".

"I generally hang when backpacking solo. Is this going to be a viable option? I know there are a few camps above treeline where it just won't work, but is it worth bringing the Hammock at all?"

You can make it work, but you will find your options much more limited than with a tarp or tent due the nature of the southern Sierra, where so much of your route is above treeline. If you end up ready to camp, but are at a location other than one of your pre chosen camp areas, you may not find a suitable place to hang. Tough call.

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

Others have talked about your options. I will add that when I hammocked in the Sierra, I made 6 foot plus straps. I'm not sure about Crabtree lake, but in many places there are fewer, bigger trees.

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Locale: New England

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will just go with a tarp. One of the primary reasons I love hanging is because of the flexibility it gives me to set up camp anywhere on the heavily forested and little-above-treeline East Coast. I don't want to do anything that will seriously limit my choices. I don't have a suitable tarp for ground dwelling (I have a Hennessy Asym tarp which is only marginally suitable for use with the hammock) so this will give me a nice MYOG project for the summer.

Judging from what I've read on BPL and elsewhere, I believe that I won't need to worry about bug protection by mid-September. Would you agree with that assessment?

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

"One of the primary reasons I love hanging is because of the flexibility it gives me to set up camp anywhere…"

You'll find a tarp will let you do that in the Sierra. There's nearly an infinite number of good sites to sleep in where you're going.

Especially in this low water year, all the bugs will be gone by September. I did the HST in September a few years ago and cowboy camped every night.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools