Topic

Camp shoes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Camp shoes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Sarah

> Roger, all I am saying is this:
    > Athletes feet is not fun, and wet conditions only make it worse.

I sometimes have problems when my feet are hot and sweaty and my socks are damp. What I was referring to was COLD wet socks. (At one stage we were walking in snow slush – that WAS cold!) I think the temperature has a lot to do with whether tinea and so on flare up.

Cheers
    Roger

Sara C
    BPL Member

@saracr

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas

Sprint Aquatics:

I ordered a couple pairs last week. I wear a 10 1/2 shoe and they run way under. The 11-13 barely fit. No way could I get the 9-11's on. If anybody wants the pair of 9-11's, that are unworn, I will ship them USPS in the US to you for free. Otherwise I will throw them in the trash. They are really light and will fit in a smallish envelope. Weight is 1.9 Oz. for the 11-13.

Jon

Edit: I also ordered the wetgrip socks. They were somewhat defective; the sock was becoming unglued from the rubber sole. these are too heavy to throw into a pack for most folks. The 10-11.5 weigh about 6.7 Oz.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Here's my trick for dry feet in camp:
    ===========================

A) I take off my shoes and socks and dry my feet as best I can.

B) I will SOMETIMES take a pair of extra insoles, really light and thin ones, and I'll put these in my shoes (after removing the wet ones) extra weight, I know.

C) I put dry socks on my feet.

D) I put plastic produce bags over my dry socks.

E) I put this whole rig back in my damp shoes.

CONCLUSION: As long as I just hang out and don't walk to far, this system works pretty good. It ain't perfect, but it sure is light.

ALSO: I work as an instructor for NOLS, and we don't allow open toed sandals (like flip flops) on most of our courses. We have seen too many minor foot injuries turn into creepy infections (really, we have 40 years of data to back this up) and I truly believe in this as a way to insure foot safety. Yes, it's strict and dogmatic. But I have been out there (way out there) and seen some students in pain because of a mis-step without shoes.

IF YOU DO USE THOSE CUTE HOME-MADE FLIP-FLOPS —- (please) BE CAREFUL!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Mike

> IF YOU DO USE THOSE CUTE HOME-MADE FLIP-FLOPS —- (please) BE CAREFUL!

You must understand: flip-flops are the Australian national footwear…

Paul Cronshaw

@beemancron

Locale: Southwest US

My favorites camp shoes are a 4oz pair of "Ultra Soles" from Magellans.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Clothing_for_Women___ShoesTS491

I love the name of this product; it signifies that a pair of these belongs in every UL pack. :)

Happy Trails

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Paul,
    I like the look of the "Ultra" and they come in larger sizes than the Sprint Aqua Shoes mentioned before.

What is the sole made out of? Would they be sturdy enough for river crossing? Do sticks poke through easily?

-Mark

cyndy b
    BPL Member

@triskele

Locale: Somewhere in the Southwest

Hi Jon –

I can't seem to PM anyone this morning. Anyway,
    if you read this and can somehow PM me, I'll take the sprint
    aquatics off your hands. I'm in CA. please PM me for
    an address. Thanks!

-Cyndy

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I bought a 3.7 oz pair of flip flops from WalMart… but I've never actually packed them… I just use my hiking shoes in camp. I may take them sometime if I go on a trip that involves a lot of water / swimming / beach etc. in camp. I like crocs… but they are sooooooo bulky… and relatively heavy.

Sara C
    BPL Member

@saracr

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas

Cyndy,

For the shoes,

missourihiker
    at
    gmail.com

Jon

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

We all need a durable but very light camp shoe. Go-Lite do you hear us?

Make us a tough-soled but very light camp shoe that might double for river crossings.(PLEASE?)

You make and they will buy it. I can't believe no company has filled this important equipment niche.

Eric

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

A really light camp shoe are foldable/disposable shower slippers like this ones

http://www.ferrino.it/en/homepage/products/ACCESSORIES/miscellaneous_130/SHOWER_SLIPERS_1203

Weight (in my scale) 51 grams – 1 3/4 oz

In some hotels swimming pools or spas you can find for free :-)

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Been doing this for a few years now. I just cut the sleeping pad to the same shape as my shoe soles and strap some elastics (no too tight) around them. One around the front of my foot, one around my ankle, and the third is cut in half, tied to each side of the elastic around my ankle and run under my heal (can you picture that?)…much more durable and stable then you think.
    Problem with the "between the toe" option is you eliminate the ability to use thick/warm socks with them.
    Steve

weight – size 11 comes in at 1.45 oz. with z-lite (egg carton) soles

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

"We all need a durable but very light camp shoe. Go-Lite do you hear us?

Make us a tough-soled but very light camp shoe that might double for river crossings.(PLEASE?)

You make and they will buy it. I can't believe no company has filled this important equipment niche.

Eric"

Eric..it is called "Crocs" :-D
    Seriously!
    They go through river crossings, you can hike in them in a pinch, they are durable, affordable and light for what you get.

Ugly? sure. You can't have everything ;-)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

You can also take a pair of shaped footbeds (new or second hand) and sew them to the soles of some socks – light or thick according to your preference. Use a tough heavy polyester thread. In cold weather you would have the socks on anyhow: the only extra weight is the pair of footbeds.

Cheers

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Crcos are great… but they are heavy… and really bulky. I hate having thing lashed to the outside of my pack… personally. Anyway… as I say… I just used my hiking shoes anyway… but for camp or a trip with a lot of water / beach… i'd probably just bring some super light and small flip flops.

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

I take a second tent that I use during the day.. OF course its not as servicable as my proper night tent, but its there for day use – it adds flair to my camping experience. I spend heaps of money on lightweight gear so I can carry my second tent without busting up my knees.

OK, sorry I'm being sarcastic – but really, guys, c'mon.

I thought the BPL philosophy was along the lines of 'its all the stuff you leave behind that adds to the experience'.
    I can understand taking a pair of aquatic sandals if you know you'll spend half the trip walking knee deep up rivers but a second pair of shoes for lounging around camp?

Actually i'm inspired now to only wear base model teva sandals on the next hike. Set up my camp, then loosen the sandal straps for instant camp shoes… multiuse!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Andrew, do you wear wet shoes all evening in camp after a day of water crossings? How would you handle that?

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

Well I just handle it – it's only water.
    I will wear them as is, accept it and enjoy it as part of the experience – its all perception really.
    You can take out socks, innersole and laces and flop around camp in the shoes. Or take them off altogether and dismantle for drying, then walk around barefoot, which is often not a real problem if managed.
    I don't carry a fresh change of clothes for around camp in the evening either.

The 'teva only' option may have a future. But will need to be tested, monitor the strap rubbing issues over a the course of a long day etc.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I was on a stretch of the Long Trail recently when wet conditions prevailed for a couple of days early in the final week. Although I hike alone, I ended up seeing the same small group for several evenings. I was finally asked, "Don't you take off or change out of your wet shoes when you reach camp?". My answer was a simple, "No, wearing lightweight trail shoes, Smartwool Adrenaline LT socks, and using Hydropel, I see no reason to".

Looking at each of their 35 to 40 pound packs loaded for every contingency and their feet covered in duct tape, and then at my sub 20 I had to smile. I was the ONLY one in the group that had absolutely no blisters during the entire hike, and my feet felt as good as the day I started.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I too carry no camp shoes. Whats the point? I Just walk around barefoot or in my hiking shoes at camp.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

I find that lightweight trail runners… with mesh uppers… dry so fast that I've never had an issue with wet shoes in camp. I've always thought that was one of their benefits… quick drying. You see all these traditional backpackers with their heavy leather hiking boots and the thing with those suckers is… not only are they heavy, uncomfortable blister making machines… but when they get wet (and they will)… they NEVER dry out.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I wear Salomon Tech Amphibs on most of my hikes and they dry super fast. Even my socks dry fast since they have so much mesh. When I get to camp I can loosen them and flip down the heel cup to wear them as slip-ons. Definitely no need for camp shoes there!
    I've used wet shoes as a pillow before (I forgot to bring something more suitable) so wearing wet shoes in camp doesn't bother me that much. Plus the heat your feet generate speed up the drying process.
    Even when I used to wear heavy, waterproof boots I didn't bring camp shoes. My pack was already so heavy that I didn't want to carry anything else!

Adam

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Andrew….just coming from experience…..don't hike in sandals, unless you wear socks underneath. The dirt/sand/tiny rocks that get under the straps will rip your feet open badly. Also, walking in wet sandals that pick up the dirt/etc is NASTY!!!!
    I had to wear Chacos for 3 days last summer and had open wounds at the end of it. Not fun one bit.

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Locale: Michigan

In my opinion, one of the great things about going light is that you have the opportunity to take a luxury with you if you so wish. The difference between 17-18 pounds means nothing to me, so the crocks go in my pack.

And when I am feeling frisky, I take a 5th of Vodka. Yep, the whole glass bottle just for tickles. MmmmMmmmMmmm

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Two things to add here.

One not very light option I didn't see mentioned is Vibram FiveFingers. They weigh exactly what Crocs weigh. I have never used them but I've read a few post here on BPL about them.

Also, I'd like to comment on the very "need" for camp shoes while keeping to the lightweight philosophy. Personally, I don't bring extra shoes along to specifically wear in camp. I bring Crocs along to ford the many streams where I hike, in winter and only in winter, when I can't afford to get my footwear wet.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools