Topic

Canon S100

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Canon S100

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

So I needed a new hiking camera after my old Panasonic p+s started giving me all kinds of errors on our last hike. I need something really small and light, of course, with good image stabilization. It would be nice to have raw files and a decent lens, because my old p+s produced pretty terrible photos.

The large-sensor compacts are out of my price range. I took a look at the new Canon S120, which is tiny and shoots raw with a decent lens, but it's $450. The previous S110 is only $250 new, which is pretty good, but then I found an S100 refurb at B&H for $175. Looking at some reviews, it appears that Canon upgraded the sensor with the S100, then the two newer models have cool hip new features like a touch screen and wi-fi, neither of which is on my wish list :)

It just arrived, and it's quite tiny – 198g with a card and battery. Raw files are decent – sure, they have some noise at higher ISOs, meaning anything ISO320 or above, but it's very fixable in Lightroom. I just printed an 11×14 inch print from an ISO 800 test shot, and it's fine – sharp, clean, etc. I'm sure I could print a 16×20 and be happy. Heck, I've shot with plenty of professional DSLRs that had worse image quality than this little thing.

The lens has a range of 24-120mm equivalent, and an f/2.0 max at 24mm. It has a built in ND filter which will come in handy sometimes. Of course it has no real controls – just a couple of buttons and a menu – but for my purposes, it looks just about perfect.

It's not a bad choice for a photo enthusiast or pro who needs a tiny pocket camera for hiking or everyday carry.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I'm trying to find a compact camera to take on backpacking trips that is a real upgrade over my iPhone – but still light and easy to use. Oh and in the 200ish range.

The LF-1,LX-7, NX-1/2, S110 etc… all seem like contenders.

At this point I can't find an S100 for under $300 so it seems like the S110 at $250 from reputable sources is the best deal around…

Anything I'm missing on that front?

Andy Stow
    BPL Member

@andys

Locale: Midwest USA

Lots of used S100 on Amazon starting under $200. Refurbished from $210. I've had good luck with getting as-described items used on Amazon.

KEH has an EX+ condition for $175.

https://www.keh.com/353968/canon-powershot-s100-black-digital-camera-12-1-m-p

I have also had nothing but good experiences buying used from KEH.

Andy

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

Andrew – thanks for the insight! I'll check them out.

I admit it's been awhile – I was a fairly avid photographer back when I took photography in college and used a Canon A-1 for a number of years. But admit I did not embrace the digital age other than for snapshots of my kids with base level point and shoots and then my camera on my iPhone.

Now that I'm backpacking with my son I'd like to be able to take better photos of the beautiful environments we are enjoying and wade back into the hobby a bit.

Andy Stow
    BPL Member

@andys

Locale: Midwest USA

No problem. I jumped into digital too soon, myself, and had two different digital cameras when my sons were born in '99 and '01. In '01 it was a Canon PowerShot G2, which at least gave me some pretty acceptable photos. In '99 it was an HP that ate AA cells and was about 1 MP. Let's just say I wish I'd stuck with film for a few more years.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

And the S100 can run CHDK, for a few additional features

Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools