Topic

New inaulating layer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New inaulating layer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

nm

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

David:

What temperature range are you expecting?

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi David,

I've used the FF Helios vest in Epic that I've used with Jacks R Better Down Arms, an Integral Designs Dolomitti belay jacket, a Patagonia Micro Puff hooded jacket, and a Cocoon jacket with Pro 90 Balaclava.

If I were to start fresh, I'd go high-loft synthetic and not down. I live in Washington and moisture is always a factor. I know that I'm better covered by synthetic if it gets moist. And if you sleep in it, it will accumunlate moisture, no matter where you are.

Second, I'd get a hooded jacket. The hood adds so much warmth at a minimum of weight increase. SO worth it. A vest is great but I find the jacket to be more versatile.

A full zip is nice but with an insulation jacket, I find a deep zip to be sufficient (and slightly warmer).

So if I had cash in hand today, I'd get the Cocoon UL 60 for general use. Then I'd layer a warmer jacket or a vest in winter. The Micropuff jacket is great but I'd call it more of a cold-weather garment (mine is used in the winter primarily).

Think of the Cocoon as a heavy fleece jacket- it's a similar warmth. This is not a winter belay jacket and won't be as warm as the down jackets you've listed, but it's a great all-rounder and it comes with me on every trip I take.

So you'll see that I work for BPL and here I am promoting Cocoon products. The truth is that I just love these products and my Cocoon jacket gets more use than anything else. Great stuff, and I profit in no way from saying that!

Cheers,
    Doug

François Lederer

@franzi68

I will second Doug on the choice of the Cocoon hoodie.
    I used in the past an Berghaus infinity light and switched to a Cocoon hoodie.
    The hood is what I missed most on the Berghaus infinity light and now I do not need anymore a seperate beanie.
    It's ways loftier than the Berghaus infinity light.
    Only drawback is the outershell, which seems ways not that durable as for the Berghaus infinity light.
    So you need to know what you want.
    If you go for the Cocoon, I doubt you'll regret your choice.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

and a third vote for the Cocoon Hoody.

Just walked in the door from a trip with pretty significant temp range for August, upper 60's during the day and mid 30's with brutal windchill factored in at night, guessing Saturday night temps were closer to upper 20's, it snowed on Mt Washinton 10 minutes up the road from where I was staying. Cocoon was probably the #1 saving grace on this trip, just switched out from using the usual summer layer Montbell inner down jacket to Cocoon hoody also used this to boost temp rating of a WM Summerlite bag and worked perfectly.
    Really big thumbs up on this layer

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sorry David- I have no experience with the PLQ jacket. Judging by only the weight, I would guess they're similar.

A stretch fleece layer underneath would be a good choice in colder climes. I use a long sleeve wool garment in these conditions.

In warmer conditions, I use a synthetic t-shirt (long or short sleeve), then the Cocoon, then a wind shirt, and use a poncho or rain jacket on top. In off-summer months I'll use a mid-layer like your fleece or my wool to up the warmth.

Think of a puffy synthetic insulation jacket as a heavy weight fleece without the weight…that's about the warmth.

Have fun!
    Doug

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools