Topic

JMT trip completed! New updated conditions.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports JMT trip completed! New updated conditions.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    D S
    BPL Member

@onthecouchagain

Locale: Sunny SoCal

Aug. 2-14, JMT thru hike from Happy Isles, Yosemite to Whitney Portal, Lone Pine. Absolutely perfect conditons! No bugs to speak of, perfect weather with no clouds and a nice breeze on most passes. Water levels were VERY low but still readilly available along the whole trail.

More deer than I have seen in our two prior trips, four snakes, two bears (one wild at 7:oo am Pinchot pass base and the other habitualized at the Portal 8;00pm). Traffic was heavy at all trail junctions and pass intersections but we camped by ourselves most nights in some beautiful campsites out of the heavily trodden spots.

Terrific trip, outstanding conditions and still beautiful after all these years of use- good job to all who have been down the trail.

'couch'

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Locale: PNW

I would love to hear a trip report! Great job!

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Were you hiking alone? How often and where did you re-supply? Can you suggest JMT websites other than what an average google might find? What kind of snakes?!!

D S
    BPL Member

@onthecouchagain

Frank,

I went down the trail this time with my wife and "fastpacking Betty" whom we met three years ago on the trail. Between the three of us, we've done the whole JMT eight times and know it very well indeed.

Resupply plan:

Day 1: carried one day of food from Happy Isles to Cathedral Lakes…early morning day 2 we were off to Tuolumne for pancakes and eggs!

Day 2: Resupplied and picked up bear canister (sent to post office) with three days of food…more than enough to go from Tuolumne to Red's Meadow.

At Red's, resupplied with three days food…enough to go from Red's to Muir Trail Ranch.

Muir Trail Ranch, picked up second bear canister (wife's) and food cache mailed prior to trip. Now that sucked! Reality set in with 6 days food… barely enough to go from Muir Ranch to Whitney Portal- a bit hungry but still in my comfort zone.

As for sources…I think BBL forums and the PCT hikers journal pages are your best bet and most accurate information on trail conditions, tips and gear lists. I will add to my entry and update a few websites for you Monday when I have access to all my reading material at work.

I will say this, going light is truly the only way to go coupled with your personal level of experience…no sense in going light only to go home early! My first trip down the trail my pack had to max out at 60+ pounds and this year my max even with consumables and 6 days food was 22 pounds and let me tell you it seemed like we flew down the trail- rested, relaxed and enjoyed the scenery and people we met along the way.

I don't really get into the whole gear list thing that many posters do on this website because what works or can work for one may not for another. My recommendation is to go slow and work your way down- the pounds and ounce will fall off in time and you will be more comfortable with your gear and its' limitations. I am only just now beginning to go "ultralight" and love it but again, our conditions this year on the JMT were nothing short of IDEAL!

Snakes- black/yellow racers, comfortable in as well as out of the water (one along the trail in Lyell Canyon and three at the lower Palisades Lake).

couch

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Many thanks, Dave. I'll be back with more questions at some point. (Just sent you a PM)

D S
    BPL Member

@onthecouchagain

Hi Frank,

You MUST do the JMT…no discussion or debate about that! It is nothing short of spectacular and as awe inspiring as any trail has to offer on any continent. I am sure your daughter would make a great addition and enjoy it/treasure it for years after your walk. Yes, please do keep me in the loop as your plan and prepare for the trip. I am a self-proclaimed gear head like many on BPL and have learned by "trail and error." A lot of planning/gear is related to the prevailing conditions in any given year. To give you an example, a couple years ago I had 10' snowdrifts and sun cups for about 30% of the trail and this year we never even set foot in snow.

As you know, the Sierra are one of the driest ranges in the lower 48 and the diversity it offers is breath taking. Prepare for a lot of up and down, up and down, up and down….but it's worth the effort.

I think you will love our resupply plan as it allows you to travel extremely light and fast or slow down for loooooong stops and enjoy the trail and still put in some miles comfortably. As far as leaving the trail, you can
    if fact use MTR as an exit and go to Lake Florence where you can thumb, pick up a dropped off car, or arange a pick up. Down the trail there are also mountain passes that have exit points if she wanted to continue a bit
    more- Bishop Pass to name one among many. However, being on the right side of the mountain range saves a bunch of time if indeed you are headed to Fresno(i.e. Florence is a better call). Keep in touch, I would love to help in
    any way I can. Who knows, we might do it again next year!

Regards,

Couch

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools