Topic

fry pan cooking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I recently picked up an msr flex skillet and want to try planning meals around using a frying pan.

So far I can think of pancakes, bannock, muffin mix (any kind of baking really), bacon, eggs, sausage, fried rice, stir fry with chopped vegetables, fry potatoes, ect. And fish I catch of course.

What are some good foods and recipes for cooking on a fry pan?

I will mostly be cooking over wood fires with it.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Lo Mein is always good!

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

You had me a pancakes, bacon and fish. Do you really need anything more – except maybe bacon and trout pancakes?

But seriously with a frying pan and if you are allowing yourself those kind of provisions pretty much the sky is the limit. I bet you could do a nice pizza. Preferably one with fish and bacon on it. You could do a frittata – possibly a good way to cook for multiple people with a bunch of available ingredients. You would have to flip it probably, but that's not too hard with the non stick.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Pizza sounds good. I was also going to do quesadillas.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Maybe sourdough rolls. That would be kind of a homage. Also good. I don't know if you could do that kind of backing without out a lid, just something I'd like to eat. But probably a pain.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I actually plan on doing pizza next weekend.

Something like this: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/64494-Bannock-Pizza-Camp-Cooking-Recipe

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

The only drawback of the MSR Skillet is that it does not have a lid. A lid really helps to keep the heat in when dry baking bannock or scone, so I made my own from aluminium sheet. You could also make one from thick aluminium foil – search for "Disposable catering tray platter" for a good source.

I also use it to make main meals like paella and risotto and here the lid keeps the liquid from evaporating.

MSR Skillet lid

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"so I made my own [lid] from aluminium sheet."

Looks great. A real, recessed, lid.

Got a MYOG thread somewhere?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've found that the whole key to making a good frypan lid is in using aluminum sheet that is exactly the right thickness.

–B.G.–

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Nice to see that lid again Stuart! Might be pretty hard for the average person to reproduce, if I remember. If his cooking is as good as his craftsmanship I might have to invite myself to dinner sometime.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

MYOG links here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=74524

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=87906

I've got bannock bread down to a T now, even if I say so myself. I mostly use the bread flour mix that is sold for breadmaker machines: 5 1/2 scoops of flour to 2 scoops of water, mix, squish by hand for a few minutes, flatten into a disk, put in skillet or on a plate in a poly bag for 30min to rise then 12min in the skillet with lid on a very low heat. The key is VERY low heat (the skillet is quite thin Al), so low that you need a windshield to prevent the flame from blowing out – I use a canister stove and this consumes 3-4g gas per bannock.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I've used a lid on the MSR skillet, but I also own like every pot in the series..oops. I don't remember which lid I used though – it might have been for one of the 3 Liter pots. Anyhow, heavy duty foil, 2-3 thickness also makes a decent lid.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Thank you Stuart.

I found some aluminum.

Now I'm looking for a liter of patience.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I have the smaller "Quick" skillet from MSR, which is identical to the Flex skillet except for the diameter. I haven't used it over a wood fire due to concerns of melting the plastic retainer clips at the handle base. I guess it's about the same as cooking over a stove, but it seems like it would be hard to keep the plastic bits away from hot coals and flames. Any insight?

As for food, I regularly fry up some of the shelf stable bacon first so that the pan gets a nice coat of fat for my Krusteaz "just add water" blueberry pancakes. Works great in the MSR skillet, but be sure to keep the heat real low if using a canister stove.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Alex, I would put it in at the edge of the fire, not directly in. An probably only on coals. Should be easy to keep the plastic handle away.
    If you were using it over a grill above the fire with lots of flames I could see it being an issue.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Thanks, Justin. That's what I figured. Let me know how it turns out in practice.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools