Topic

Winter bag usage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Winter bag usage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nategfunk
    Spectator

@jegsmith-2

Im planning to do some backpacking in the adirondacks this winter and have been thinking about using my WM megalite bag. I plan on getting a das parka as well and wear both at night. The bag is designed with a large girth so fitting the das inside should not be a problem. Im not sure, however, if the bag das combo will be warm enough. Lows should be around 0. Any thoughts?

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Jon,

Where are you going in the Adirondacks? It can be a lot colder than 0 degrees in the Adirondacks in winter particularly in the High Peaks Region. The temperatures can reach minus 40 degrees F.

Check this link:

http://www.adkscience.org/weather/almanac.htm

Also, are you planning on sleeping in a tent, bivy, snowcave, igloo???

Rich

nategfunk
    Spectator

@jegsmith-2

I plan on backpacking in the high peaks region. I would either sleep inside a tent or a lean to if available.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I too have a WM Megalite bag.
    I've found it OK to +22 F (barely).

But for very cold winter sleeping I'll use either my Mt'n. Hardwear 5th Dimension Polarguard -20 F bag alone or put my Megalite inside at -20 F or lower.

The Megalite is barely a 3 season bag and only then because it's got such great down quality.

Eric

BTW, should anyone here think the Adirondacks of New York are not territory that gets seriously cold let me say that I've experienced -40 F there in 1979 as a Nordic Ski Patroller on the last day of the Pre Olympic Nordic World Cup competition.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools